1. The name of the structure that contains arteries, veins, lymphatics, nerves, ductus deferens, and suspends the testes in the scrotum is the:
2. The male secretory structures that produce a fluid necessary for adequate sperm motility after ejaculation are called the:
seminal vesicles and prostate gland
3. The combining forms that mean "Abdomen or Belly" are:
celi/o-, lapar/o-, and abdomen/o-
4. The diagnostic term "_________" is the backward movement of urine from the bladder into the ureter or from the ureter into the kidney.
5. The term "Glomerulonephritis" is an inflamed function unit of the kidney (Bowman's capsule structures) and is classified as _________.
acute, chronic or subacute
6. The diagnostic term that means State of Undescended Testes is:
7. The diagnostic term that actually means "lack of a male erection or the ability to copulate (diminished blood flow into penile caverns)" is:
im/potence - no power
8. The term that means twisted (enlarged & distorted) spermatic cord veins (in scrotum) is diagnosed by palpating (feeling) worm-like veins is called:
9. The surgical term that actually means male sterilization is:
10. An infectious Sexually Transmitted Infections (STI) characterized by gum-like body lesions (gummas) appearing in the tertiary (3rd) stage of the disease (these Lues appear on multiple body parts and organs) is called:
11. The surgical sterilization procedure that is regularly used to render an individual unable to produce offspring is called:
vasectomy in males and tubal ligation in women
12. The diagnostic term Mastectomy literally means:
13. The diagnostic term that means painful menstrual discharge is:
14. The diagnostic term "A/men/o/rrhea" actually means:
absence of or a lack of a monthly menstrual flow
15. The term that means inflamed female pelvic structures and organs is:
Pelvic Inflammatory Disease - P.I.D.
16. The surgical term that means excision of the uterus is:
17. The new cell formed by the union of the spermatozoon and the ovum is the:
zygote "to join - Greek"
18. The development of an individual from conception through pregnancy is:
gestation "to bear"
19. An unborn child from approximately the third month of pregnancy to birth is referred to as a:
20. The term gravida usually means ________, but literally means_________:
pregnant and heavy
21. The term Multi/cyesis literally means:
many or multiple/pregnancy
22. The combining word part forms "nat/o- and toci-" literally means:
23. The combining forms that mean "milk" are:
lact/o- and galacto-
24. The combining form parto- that is used in the term partur/ation literally means:
to give birth/process of
25. The combining form fet/o- actually means:
unborn child "months 3-9" - literally "young child" in Greek
26. The term Vener/eal (Venereal Disease) actually refers to:
Venus - Roman Goddess of Love
27. The medical term that means "beginning of menstruation" is:
28. The diagnostic term that means pregnancy occurring outside the uterus is:
29. The diagnostic term that means abnormally low implantation of the placenta on the uterine wall is:
30. The diagnostic term for a congenital condition characterized by varying degrees of mental retardation and multiple physical defects is:
31. The term for a congenital defect of the vertebral column caused by the failure of the vertebral arch to fuse is:
32. The term for an antigen-antibody reaction in the blood of a Rh Negative (-) mother with the blood of a RH Positive (+) baby is______. This blood antibody reaction (hemo/lytic "blood/breakdown":
causes edema, hepato/megaly. & jaundice) is seen in succeeding pregnancies with incompatible mother/baby blood. erythroblastosis fetalis
33. The procedural term for the incision into the perineum at the end of the 2nd stage of labor to avoid laceration (tearing) is ____.
34. The term Hystero/salpingo/graphy (HSG) refers to a procedure used to diagnose certain problems of the _______ and _______. HSG is most often used to determine the possibility of a female becoming pregnant.
uterus and uterine tubes "fallopian tubes"
35. The medical term Lact/o/rrhea or Galact/o/rrhea actually means:
spontaneous discharge of milk from the breast
36. The branch of medicine that deals with diagnosis and treatment of disorders in newborn infants is:
37. The medical term dys/men/o/rrhea actually means:
difficult and painful monthly flow
38. Parturition in which the feet, arms, or buttock emerge first is called:
39. The surgical procedure for a Tubal Ligation in women is similar to a ________________in men.
40. The diagnostic term Ectopic Pregnancy actually means:
embryo is attached to the female usually outside of uterus - tubes
41. The diagnostic term Hydro/cele in males literally means:
water like fluid build-up in the scrotal sac "tubes leak"
42. The diagnostic term Balan/itis actually means:
inflamed glans penis or glans clitoris
43. The STI term, clap, refers to this reproductive system infection.
44. Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome (AIDS) in Africa is referred to as:
45. The foreskin secretion Smegma literally means _________. It can cause an irritation & inflammation of the glans penis or glans clitoris (Balan/itis).
46. The Trichomon/iasis vaginalis (TRICK) is caused by a ___________ that causes a mal/odorous frothy yellow to green discharge, itching (pruritus), and burning:
protozoan parasite with a tail
47. Non-Specific Urethr/itis actually means an inflammation of the urethral canal that is caused by:
multiple possible etiologic agents
48. The Scabies Itch Mite can be a type of V.D. that is spread by the mite burrowing into the outer skin layer and depositing eggs. The mites cause a sensitivity in 2 to 4 months and is characterized by a papular rash with:
all of the above
49. Venereal Warts can include:
all of the above
50. The term Herpes literally means to creep and it can cause diseases like Chickenpox, Shingles, Herpes Simplex I (Oral Herpes), and Herpes Simplex II (___________________).
51. The Condylomata acuminata (common genital warts) are contagious STIs usually on the anus, vulva, penis, thighs, and/or perineum. The lesions usually are moist, soft, red or pink, and can be:
knuckle-like or nipple-like
52. A Speculum is used in female pelvic exams to expand the walls of the:
53. The diagnostic term that actually means a human with a very large head is _______________. The etiology is usually the retention of CSF in the brain ventricles, causing outward skull plate pressure and an enlarged skull.
macro/cephalus or hydro/cephalus
54. The diagnostic term placenta previa (cake: first or early) actually means:
low implantation & possible miscarriage - usually after the 7th month
55. The diagnostic term abruptio placentae actually means: