hlth quiz 4
medical terms diseases circulatory system
1. The upper chambers of the heart are called the:
atria "means chamber"
2. The lower chambers of the heart are called the:
ventricles "little belly"
3. The valve located between the left atrium and ventricle is the:
4. The Pace-Maker is found in the right atria and is also called the:
5. The blood vessel that carries blood containing oxygen and nutrients away from the heart to the body tissues (except the lungs) is the:
6. The combining forms angi/o- and vaso- all mean:
7. The combining forms that mean "vein" are:
ven/o- and phleb/o-
8. The combining forms that mean "chest" are:
steth/o-, pectero-, and thoroco-
9. The combining forms that mean "sound" are:
ech/o- and sono-
10. The suffix -graph in the term cardio/graph means:
instrument used to record
11. The diagnosis of Angina Pectoris literally means __________. The actual meaning is lack of blood flow to the large heart vessels in the chest. vessel :
12. The term that means separation or removal is:
13. The diagnostic term that means abnormal state of a slow heart rate is:
14. The diagnostic term Aortic Stenosis means:
narrowing of the aorta
15. The diagnostic term Coronary Isch/emia actually means:
deficient supply of blood to the crowning blood vessels of the heart
16. The diagnostic term that means hardening of the arteries is:
17. The “literal” meaning" of the diagnostic term Cardio/myo/path/y is:"
18. The inability of the heart to pump enough blood through the body to supply the tissues and organs is called:
congestive heart failure
19. The diagnostic term Ar/rhythmia means:
any variation from a normal heart rhythm or contraction
20. The diagnostic term used to refer to a dilated or varicose (twisted) internal and/or external vein in the rectum is:
21. The diagnostic term for the ballooning of a weakened portion of an arterial wall is:
22. The diagnostic term that means rapid, quivering, non-coordinated contractions of the atria and/or ventricles is:
23. The diagnostic term for distended or tortuous veins usually found in the lower extremities is:
varicose veins "twisted appearance"
24. The diagnostic term Cardiac Arrest is defined as a(n):
sudden cessation of cardiac output and effective circulation
25. The diagnostic term for a type of cancer characterized by an abnormal increase in white blood cells is:
26. The diagnostic term An/emia means:
decrease in normal RBC numbers, iron, or hemoglobin levels
27. The surgical term for the incision into a vein to remove blood, to give blood, or to give intravenous fluids is:
28. The surgical term Angi/o/rrhaphy means:
suturing of a vessel or to repair a vessel
29. The surgical term Angioplasty means:
surgical repair of a blood vessel
30. The surgical term for a procedure in which a balloon is passed through a blood vessel to the area in which plaque is formed is:
percutaneous transluminal coronary angioplasty
31. The surgical technique that brings a new blood supply to heart muscles by detouring around blocked athro/sclerotic coronary arteries is called a(n):
coronary artery bypass
32. The procedural phrase "Complete Blood Count - CBC" is defined as:
counting RBC, WBC, and Thrombocytes or Platelets
33. The procedural term for X-ray of the blood vessels after an injection of contrast medium dye is:
34. The procedure for making a record of the structure and motion of the heart using sound waves is called:
35. A procedural bone marrow biopsy is referred to as:
36. The Test that determines the time it takes for blood to form a clot is:
37. The device or instrument that is used to measure arterial blood pressure (pulse pressure) by hand is a:
38. The study that uses ultrasound to determine the velocity of the flow of blood within a vessel is:
Doppler Flow Studies
39. The medical term Cardiology means:
the science and study of the heart
40. The medical term that means body temperature below normal, 98.6 F., is:
(Note: hypo-, sub-, and infra all can refer to less, below, or under) hypo/thermia "usually 78 to 90 degrees F."
41. The medical term that means removal of liquid from withdrawn blood is:
plasm/apheresis "liquid blood/separation"
42. The term that means one who studies and treats diseases of the blood is:
43. The medical term Hemo/stasis (hemo/stat) literally means:
stoppage of bleeding or diminished blood flow "circulation"
44. The medical term which means to puncture a vein in order to remove blood, instill medication, or start an intravenous infusion is:
45. The medical term for the hearing of sounds within the body through a stethoscope is:
46. Application of an electric shock to the myocardium through the chest wall to restore normal cardiac rhythm is called:
de/fibrill/ation "process of quivering going away"
47. The medical term Sy/stole (together/contract) actually means:
cardiac cycle phase where chambers contract raising blood pressure
48. The phase in the cardiac cycle in which chambers relax between contractions is called:
dia/stole "relaxation of heart muscle"
49. Tapping of a body surface with the fingers to determine the density of the body part beneath is:
50. The medical term for the phase in the cardiac cycle in which the ventricles contract is:
51. The suffixes that mean 'pain' are:
-dynia and -algia
52. Cardiomyopathy is referred to as having a problem with _____________.
the heart muscle pumping blood
53. The medical term Hyper/tension means:
blood pressure that is above normal - "140/90 mm/Hg or higher above atmospheric pressure"
54. An Em/bol/ism literally means:
state of a lump within
55. Poly/cyth/emia Vera (many/cells/blood: true) is the term for:
Erythrocytosis "RBC increases cause strokes, heart attaches, & clots"
56. A Pulmonary Infarction (lung: to stuff into) actually means:
lung blood flow blockage "ischemia is decreased flow"
57. The term _________________ refers to the lack of development of normal numbers of RBC's (Erythrocyte) in the blood.
A/plastic An/emia "bone marrow not producing cells"
58. A Macro/phage is referred to as a:
large eaters of foreign cells and materials
59. Hodgkin's Disease is a type of:
60. Athero/sclerosis is a type of:
61. Mitral Valve Prolapse (MVP) or Mitral Valve Incompetence (MVI) (valve between chambers on left side of the heart) is usually seen in:
women or females
62. An Aortic Abdominal Aneurysm is the _____________ of the big blood vessel in the posterior belly that often ruptures and causes death by hem/orrhag/ing.
ballooning "a widening"
63. A Varico/cele is the __________ of the veins in the scrotum (male pouch).
twisting "feels like worms in sac"
64. The parasitic Protozoan Disease Trypano/som/iasis (carried by insects) is called Snail Fever, Chagas' Disease, Tsetse Fly Disease, America Fever or:
Sleeping Sickness "African or American Sleeping Sickness"
65. Schisto/som/iasis in man is a type of a _____________ infestation.
Split Bodied Blood Fluke Worm
66. A Phlebo/tom/ist is a person who specializes in cutting or puncturing _____ to take blood samples.
67. Coronary Thrombosis is also known as:
Acute Myocardial Infarction or Myocardial Infarction
68. The most important longitudinal heart study in the world is being conducted in what American City since 1946:
Framingham, Massachuset "little hill - Iroquois Indian Term"
69. The leading Cardiac Risk Factors are:
smoking, obesity, lack of exercise, and hyper/cholesterol/emia
70. Tiny blood vessels in the back of the ________ are viewed with a Ophthalmo/scop/e to help diagnosis Arterio/sclerosis, Diabetes, Kidney Disease, and many other diseases.
71. A Stethoscope is placed over the heart valves to listen to the: all of the above
72. The Sickle Cell Anemia (Sickle Cell Trait "Gene") includes the:
all of the above
73. The terms Crenation, Poikilocytosis, and Anisocytosis all refer to:
74. The condition of Hodgkin's Disease could also be known as:
Lymph Node Hyper/trophy Disease