1. The coiled tubular structures arising from the dermis that excrete sweat are the:
2. The outer layer of skin is called the:
3. Melan/o/cytes in the stratum basale layer of the epidermis produce Melanin (means black like nigra), which is responsible for:
4. The layer of skin that is sometimes referred to as true skin is the:
dermis or cutis
5. The combining forms that mean "nail" are:
unguin/o- or onycho-
6. The combining forms cutane/o- (cutaneous), pel/o- (pellagra), -derm- (ep/iderm/is and dermat/itis) , and cut/i- (cut/icle) all mean:
7. The term Nettles, Hives, or ______________ refers to a rash that may be characterized by wheals.
Urticaria "allergic reaction"
8. The compound diagnostic term "Dermato/myc/osis" actually means:
an extensive skin fungus condition, state of, or infection
9. The compound term "Sebo/aden/itis" literally means:
inflamed oil gland
10. The combining forms Hidr/o- and Sudero- both mean:
11. The surgical term Rhytid/ec/tom/y literally means:
procedure of cutting out wrinkles
12. The suffix that means to view is:
13. The suffix that means berry shaped is:
14. Chiggers are also referred to as ___________. These six-legged mites are parasitic on insects, vertebrates, and man. They attach to the skin where they secrete saliva that causes itching, wheals, and dermatitis.
redbugs or red mites
15. The diagnostic term that means localization of pus is:
abscess "tissue goes away"
16. The diagnostic term Hidr/aden/itis means:
inflammation of a sweat gland
17. The diagnostic term that means skin or tissue bruise is:
18. The term that means invasion into the skin and body hair by lice is:
19. The pre/cancerous skin condition that is characterized by horny and hard skin that was caused by excessive exposure to sunlight is:
20. The diagnostic term _____________ actually means tissue death or literally "an eating sore." This condition is usually caused by Clostridium prefringenes and/or poor blood supply.
21. The diagnostic term that actually means the process of scraping away the skin by a mechanical process or injury is:
22. A malignant neoplasmic skin condition that spreads to organs & lymph nodes, which is commonly associated with AIDS, diabetes, and lymphoma is:
23. The medical term that means berry-shaped bacteria in twisted chains is:
24. The medical term Cicatrix literally means:
25. The medical term Nevus means:
mole or birthmark
26. If a patient has a decubitus ulcer, he or she has a(n):
27. The medical term that means Wart is:
28. The medical term Pruritus means:
29. The medical term that means small, solid skin elevation is:
30. The medical term which refers to a yellow or orange-yellow tinge to the skin that results from damaged liver cells is:
31. The diagnostic term Acne Vulgaris literally means:
pointed and common
32. The procedural term Dermatoplasty includes ___________ surgery.
face lifts, eyelid drooping, and belly tucks
33. The diagnostic term Seb/orrhea Dermat/itis is also known as:
34. The diagnostic term Geriatric Alopecia actually means:
"old age” baldness "fox mange"
35. The disease term Anthrax literally means:
coal or carbuncle "lesion"
36. The diagnostic term Cheil/itis literally means:
inflammation of the lip
37. The diagnostic term Curettage of a skin lesion literally means:
38. The diagnostic term Furuncle actually means ____________and is a staphylococcus inflection of a hair follicle or hair gland:
39. The diagnostic term Rubella (red) is also known as:
3 day measles
40. The diagnostic term Herpes literally means:
41. The diagnostic term Rubeola (AKA: German or 9 Day Measles) literally means:
red or redness
42. A diagnostic characteristic of oral Koplik Spots (next to the back Molars "grinders") is associated with:
Roubela- 9 day measles
43. The skin condition of Shingles is caused by the Herpes Zoster Virus. This virus also causes:
44. The disease Smallpox (AKA: as Variola Major or Minor) is caused by a highly contagious __________ and is characterized by prostration, a vesicular-pustular rash, and fever. It is considered eradicated except for Biological Weapons use.
45. The diagnostic term Malignant Melanoma actually means:
a black tumor that is bad or cancerous
46. The diagnostic term Ichthy/osis actually means:
fish-like skin condition with scale-like tissue
47. The diagnostic term Hirsut/ism literally means:
the state of being hairy
48. The diagnostic term Squamous Cell Carcinoma actually means:
scaly crab-like cell tumors of the surface tissue "lungs and skin"
49. The diagnostic term Dehiscence actually means:
to gape open
50. The diagnostic term Helminth/iasis, Ascar/iasis and Vermicul/osis can refer to __________________ infections of the skin or the digestive system.
51. The diagnostic term Onycho/myc/o/sis literally means:
52. The bacterial infection of the face that is referred to as ____________ is characterized by vesicles or sacs that rupture and form a golden crust.
Impetigo "means to attack"
53. The diagnostic term Dys/hidr/osis literally means:
condition of faulty sweating "skin sweat blisters"
54. The diagnostic term Scabies actually means:
itch mite saliva that causes severe itching
55. The diagnostic term Tinea Cruris (or crusis) actually means:
Jock Itch "scrotal, crural, anal, or genital fungus itch"
56. The diagnostic term for the fungal infection Candid/iasis literally means:
57. The diagnostic term __________refers to red skin caused by an increase in RBCs near the surface of the skin. This proliferative bone marrow condition can cause clots, strokes, heart attacks, vertigo, weakness, tinnitus, extremity pain, and an enlarged spleen cause by excess RBC breakdown.
58. The skin condition of Ringworm is actually caused by a:
59. The diagnostic term Cutaneous Ulcer literally means:
60. The diagnostic term Thrush is usually a fungus infection of the:
throat or vagina
61. The diagnostic term Sclero/derma is actually an Auto-Immune reactionary dis/ease like:
62. The diagnostic term Lyme is associated with a town in ________ where this deer tick-borne spirochete bacteria first appeared to man.
63. The diagnostic term Xero/derm literally means:
64. The diagnostic term Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever is caused by a Rickettsial (small bacteria) organism that is carried by a:
65. The diagnostic term __________ literally means "to itch" and this chronic skin condition causes red patches with dry, thick, silvery scales.
66. A skin Lacer/ation literally means:
the process of tearing
67. Helminth/iasis (Worm Diseases) and TB (Tuberculosis) are the two (2) leading killers in under-developed countries located in which continents or subregion:
all of the above
68. Helminth/ic Diseases can attack multiple body systems including the integumentary, digestive, and nervous systems. They are caused by Meta/zoa Parasitic Worms called:
all of the above
69. The term De/fec/ation literally means:
process of feces or stool away
70. Cimex lectularius is also known as:
71. The physiologic (function) term De/glutition literally means:
to swallow away or down
72. The terms Masticat/ion and Mand/ible actually mean:
process of chewing and chewer
73. The term Tinea Pedis actually means:
74. Skin blushing, _________, or redness is usually caused by an increase in blood flow, oxy/hemoglobin, fever, inflammation, trauma "wound", and alcohol.
75. The skin color variation of Pall/or is actually a __________________, which usually accompanies blood loss, various types of anemia, or shock.
decrease in skin color
76. The skin color variation of ___________ represents an increase in tissue bili/rubin from RBC destruction or liver cell destruction (hepat/itis). This color is best seen in the sclera of the eye, body membranes, and skin.
77. The relative speed with which the skin resumes its normal appearance after being stretched or compressed is called__________. It represents the amount of water in the tissues or hydration. This process is slower in seniors.
78. A tan-brown skin coloration usually means an increase in the amount of melanin, a suntan, or: