hlth quiz 8
medical terms disease urinary system
1. The process of forming urine begins in the:
glomeruli capsule "part of nephron"
2. The tubes that carry urine from the kidneys to the bladder are the:
ureters "small canals"
3. The muscular, hollow organ that temporarily holds the urine is the:
urinary bladder "vesic/o- or cysto-"
4. The organ whose functions are to remove waste products from the blood and aid in maintaining water and acid base balance in the body is the:
5. The root word nephr/o- in its combining form means:
6. The prefix dia- literally and actually means:
across, through, complete, or total
7. The suffix that means nourishment or development is:
8. The suffix that means drooping, sagging or prolapsed (kidney) is:
9. The suffix that means the loosening, dissolution, breakdown, or separation of (fluids or tissue) is:
10. The diagnostic term Nephro/dexto/ptosis actually means:
drooping kidney to the right
11. The diagnostic term Ur/emia means:
condition of urine in the blood
12. The diagnostic term that means inflamed kidney and renal pelvis:
13. The diagnostic term that means kidney tumor or swelling:
14. The diagnostic term for a congenital defect in which the urinary meatus is located on the upper surface of the penis is:
15. The surgical term Lithotripsy means:
surgical crushing of a stone
16. The surgical term that means surgical fixation or repositioning of the kidney is:
17. A ureterostomy (or urostomy for short): ______________.
All of the above
18. The diagnostic term 'Cytoscopy' literally means:
procedure to view and examine the bladder "urine sac"
19. The diagnostic term "Polycystic Kidney Disease - PKD" refers to the kidney having multiple ____________ causing renal (refers to kidney) failure.
sacs or blister appearing in and on the kidney
20. The diagnostic term "Stag Horn Calculus" refers to _________.
deer antler shape - kidney stone
21. The diagnostic term "In-continence" literally means _________ and is seen with the lack of control of the bladder or the rectum.
22. The test that measures the amount of urea in the blood is called the:
BUN Test "Blood Urea Nitrogen Test"
23. A person with Hyper/dipsia is suffering from:
24. The procedural technique in which X-rays are taken to show an organ or tissue at a particular depth is called:
25. A Pyelo/gram is an X-ray of:
the renal pelvis
26. A wide surgical incision of the abdomen to detect disease is called a(n):
27. The procedural term Nephro/graph/y actually means:
process of X-ray filming the kidney
28. The term Cysto/scop/y means:
procedural visual examination of the bladder "procedure-exact steps"
29. The medical term that means Scanty or Slight Urination is:
30. The medical term Py/uria means:
pus in the urine
31. The medical term hemat/uria means:
blood in the urine - inflection or hemorrhaging
32. The medical term glycos/uria means:
sugar in the urine - diabetes
33. The medical term that means destruction of living tissue with an electric spark is also known as (AKA):
34. The medical term for a procedure (literally means-to let down into) that uses a flexible tube-like device to withdraw or instill fluids is:
35. The term Di/urectic literally means double urine and actually means:
agent that increases the amount of urine
36. The term Enuresis actually means:
bedwetting or involuntary urination
37. The medical term Mictur/ation actually and literally means:
the process of urinating or voiding urine
38. The diagnostic term Hydro/nephr/o/sis actually means:
condition of water "actually urine 95% H2O" backing up into kidney
39. The diagnostic term Pyelo/nephr/itis literally means:
an inflammation of the kidney and kidney pelvis