3. The Pituitary Hormone that stimulates uterine contractions during female labor is:
4. The pituitary lobe that secretes Adrenocorticotrophic Hormone (ACTH), Growth Hormone (GH), and Follicle Stimulating Hormone (FSH) is called the:
5. The _______________ pituitary lobe stores and releases Anti/di/uret/ic Hormone (ADH) and Oxy/tocin.
6. The Thyroid Hormone that regulates carbohydrate metabolism is:
thyroxin or thyroxine
7. Located in front of the lower voice box and the upper trachea (rough), the ___________ Gland is the largest endocrine gland and is shaped like a shield.
8. The four small dime size glands that lie directly upon and behind the Thyroid Gland are the _____________ Glands. They secrete para/thormone that is responsible for regulating body calcium usage.
9. The endocrine glands located above each kidney (divided into 2 portions called the medulla “marrow-like” and the cortex “bark-like”) are the:
10. The name of the hormone that helps to maintain the level of calcium in the blood and is produced by the four Parathyroid Glands is:
11. The hormone that plays an important role in the control of blood sugar levels and controls hyperglycemic and hypoglycemic body responses is:
insulin from the beta cells of the Isles of Langerhans in the pancreas “all/fleshy”
12. The hormone that helps the body deal with stress is:
epinephrine - alarm stage of the General Adaptation Syndrome “GAS”
13. The compound term "Poly/dips/ia" literally means:
14. The combining forms that mean "poison" are:
toxic/o- “toxic”, viro- “virus”, or septo- “septic”
15. The term Hypo/glyc/emia literally means:
low or below/sugar levels/blood - tired and fatigued
16. The prefixes e-, ec-, ect-, ecto-, ex-, and exo- all mean:
out or outside
17. The diagnostic term for the state of excessive thyroxin production, which causes high sugar use levels and hyperactivity is:
18. The medical term Endo/crin/olog/ist actually means:
specialist in the science and study of glands of internal secretion (into the blood stream)
19. The diagnostic term for a chronic disease caused by under activity of the Islets of Langerhans (Beta Cells) in the pancreas is:
Diabetes Mellitus - sweet or sugar excess - Type I and II
20. Addison’s Disease (AKA _____) is usually idio/pathic (unique to self/disease) and shows a progressive destruction of the ad/renal cortex. In time the tissue is infected by organisms that cause TB, histoplasmosis, and cryptococcosis.
hypo/adreno/cortic/ism - weakness, vitiligo, nausea, and hypotension
21. The condition resulting in muscle spasms (poor nerve communications) due to an abnormally low concentration of calcium in the blood is:
tetany - tension/of muscle
22. The medical diagnostic term Syn/drome actually means:
a set of signs and symptoms that run together - together/run
23. The medical term for the sum total of all the chemical processes that take place in a living organism is _______________. It literally and actually means - the state of/changing/a lump (of food).
24. The term given to substances secreted by Endo/crine (within blood/secret) Glands that means to urge on is:
25. The lack of _____________ can cause premature aging.
Human Growth Hormone “HGH”
26. President John F. Kennedy had the life threatening condition of ________. All 3 Adreno/cortical (adrenal/cortex) functions are lost or diminished. The body shows skin or membranes discoloration (bronze/purple strips), hemorrhages, weakness, anxiety or depression, infections (TB, Fungal), an/orexia, & neoplasms.
27. Graves’ Disease is also known as:
28. Dwarf/ism (irregular proportioned and "shortness/state") is often seen with Pro/geria (before/old or aged). The probable cause is heredity factors or the lack of Pituitary _______ production that leads to complete premature aging.
29. The inability to sleep is often caused by the lack of the Pineal Gland to secrete:
30. The Parathyroid Gland produces Para/thormone, which regulate body calcium blood levels and prevents:
tetany or muscle spasms
31. Dr. Andrew Weil, M.D. recommends we stimulate the ___________ Gland (called the Master Gland of the Immune System) with deep breathing exercises.
32. Fertility pills contain _____________ Hormone that is administered around the 15th day of the female cycle to stimulate ovulation.
Luteiniz/ing “yellow/process of causing”
33. Birth Control pills start releasing ____ early in the female cycle (+/- day 9) which stops the release of LH from the Anterior Pituitary. The inhibition of LH around day 15 stops ovulation.
34. The hormone _____ increases in the blood to a level that causes LH to be released from the anterior pituitary. This hormone is the third of the four female cycle hormones (FSH, estrogen, LH and Progesterone)
35. The hormone ___________ increases quickly in the female blood from the corpus luteum of the egg to a level that inhibits further Luteinizing Hormone (LH) production from the Anterior Pituitary, which stops ovulation.