Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
is the food ppl eat and how they use it.
comprises the body of scientific knowledge governing food requirements for maintaince, growth, activity, reproduction and lactation.
is the health profession responsable for applying nutrition science to promote human health and treat disease.
- aka clinical nutrition specialist /public health nutritionist.
- responsibility of nutrition care in patients and clients.
- approved by American Dietetic Ass.
health simple term
is the absence of disease.
a state of optimal phsical, mental, and social well-being; relative freedom from disease or disability.
preventive approach to health
- identifying risk factors that increase a person's chances of developing a particular health problem.
- choose behavior to prevent and minimize disease.
traditional approach to health
- only attempts change when symptoms of illness or disease already exist, at which point those who are ill seek a physician to diagnose, treat and cure the condition.
- little value for life long positive health.
major chronic problems
heart disease and cancer
life time of good nutrition
- well developed body, the ideal weight for body composition (ratio of muscle mass to fat mass) and height, and good muscle development.
- skin smooth and clear.
- hair glossy.
- eyes clear and bright.
- appetite, digestion normal.
- resist infections.
- women 80.1yrs
- men 74.8 yrs
function of nutrition in food
- provide energy
- build tissue
- regulate metabolic processes
the sum of all chemical changes that take place in the body by which it maintains itself and produces energy for its functioning (products of the various reactions are called metabolites)
a polysaccharide, the main storage form of carbohydrate, largely stored in the liver and the lesser extent in muscle tissue.
the general term calorie refrers to a measure of heat and is used alone to designate the small calorie. The calorie used in nutrition science and the study of metabolism is the large calorie, or kilocalorie, to be more accurate and avoid the use of large numbers in calculations. a kilocalorie , or 1000 calories, is the measure of heat nessessary to raise the temperature of 1000 g (1 L) of water 1* C.
nitrogen-bearing compounds that form the structural units of protein. After digestion amino acids are available for symthesis of pacific tissue protein.
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview