Philosophies of Science (6)
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Define Philosophies of Science
- Study of science and scientific practice
- Describe and understand how science works within wide range of sciences
What are the 3 Philosophies of Science?
- Rationalism - Received view
- Empiricism - Received view
- Human science / Phenomenology - Perceived view
Define Received View
- Learn by being told or receiving knowledge
- Empiricism - science knowledge r/t experiments and evidence
- Positivism - knowledge based on sensory experience & positive verification
- Deductive reasoning
- Validation and replication
- Quantitative research
Define Perceived View
- What we learn from collectively lived experiences, interrelatedness, human interpretation, and learned reality
- Inductive reasoning
- Constructivism - theory of knowledge arguing that humans generate knowledge and meaning from experience
- Qualitative research
- Multiple truths
What is post-positivism?
- Subjective inquiry
- Objective study
- Through Quantitative Research
- Knowledge is conjectural - proposition unproven but appears to be true
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview