Identify and list the function of terminal bud, axillary buds, terminal bud scale scars, bundle scars, leaf scars, lenticels, dilated rays.
- Terminal bud: meristematic area of the shoot, keeps axillary buds in check
- Axillary (lateral) buds: meristematic tissue usually kept inactive by presense of terminal bud
- Terminal bud scale scars: mark the location of previous terminal buds
- Bundle scars: severed ends of vascular bundles (leaf traces) after leaf fall
- Leaf scars: mark where the leaf falls off
- Lenticels: allow gas exchange for living cells in the trunk
- Dilated rays: dilated phloem rays sometimes occur in an attempt to compensate for the rapid girth increase caused by secondary xylem production.