Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards. What would you like to do?
What are the domains of development?
Cognitive, Physical, and Emotional/Social
Describe Physical developments components?
Body size, proportions, appearance, Body systems functioning, health, perceptual and motor capabilities,
Describe Cognitive Development
Describe emotional and social development?
- nSelf-understanding, knowledge about
nInterpersonal skills & relationships
nMoral reasoning & behavior
Wha are the periods of development?
Prenatal, Infancy and Toddlerhood, Early Childhood, Middle CHildhood, Adolescense, Emerging Adulthood
An orderly, integrated set of statements that describes behavior, explaines behavior, predicts behaviors
What are three basic issues in development?
Continous or discontious? One course of development vs. many possible courses? Relative influence of nature vs nuture?
Visualize the difference between discontinous and continious development?
Stair steps versus. a slope
Define Nature and Nuture.
- Nature is inborn, biological givens determined by genetic inheritence.
- Nuture is how the physical and social worl influence biological and psychological developement.
Stability vs. PLasicity
- §Individuals high or low in a
- characteristic remain so at later ages.
- experience may a have lifelong impact
- is possible, based on experiences
What are characteristics of Resilient Children
§A warm parental relationship
- §Social support outside the immediate
§Community resources and opportunities
What is the medieval view of child development?
- (to age 7 or 8) regarded as separate phase with special needs, protections
Describe the 16th Century view of child development?
Puritian "Child Depravity" views
Describe 17th Century views on Childhood development?
John Locke “tabula rasa” or “blank slate” view; continuous development