KINES111 EXAM 1
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
A philosophy of life, exalting and combining in a balanced whole the qualities of body, will and mind. Blending sport with culture and education, Olympism seeks to create a way of life based on the joy found in effort, the educational value of good example and respect for universal fundemental principles.
Identify the name of the location of the Ancient Olympic Games.
- Held at the sanctuary of Olympia.
- - Elis prefecture (district) on the peninsula of Peloponnesus.
ID the date of the beginning of the Games and the end of the Games.
776 BCE to 393 AD
Describe religious underpinnings for the holding of the Games and for the Abolishment of the Games.
- Games began as part of the religious celebration in honor of the God Zeus.
- -Greece at the time of the ancient games was a pegan culture that worshipped many gods and goddesses.
- Games would be abolished in the 4th century because of the spread of Cristianity.
Name the important deities associated with the Games.
Zeus, Hera, Demiter
Describe Greek perspective on team sports and competition for women in the Games.
The Greeks didn't allow team sports and women to participate in the Games.
ID and describe the importance of the Festival of Hera.
- It was a competition for unmarried girls.
- Consisted of 3 foot races
- approx. 500 feet in length
- categories by age
- wore tunics
ID the various athletic events associated with the Games.
- stadion foot race
- horse races
- foot race in armor
- no marathon until 1896
ID the eligibility requirements to participate in the Games.
- free greek citizen
- haven't committed murder or heresy (speak against government)
women weren't allowed to watch under the penalty of death.
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview