The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What are the risk factors of VTE?
- *Estrogen use (i.e., birth control)
- *Heart disease (i.e., CHF)
- *Inherited coagulation disorders
- *Prior VTE
What tests are used to diagnose DVT?
*Doppler ultrasound (sound waves, detect absence of blood flow)
- -Impedance plethysmography (changes in electrical resistance)
- -Venography (contrast)
What tests are run to diagnose PE?
- -EKG, CXR, arterial blood gas
- -Pulmonary angiography
How does UFH work?
- -Binds to and accelerates antithrombin III activity.
- -The complex inactivates mostly thrombin (factor IIa) and factor Xa
-Body dissolves clot.
What is the antidote for major bleeding caused by heparin?
What is the dose of protamine sulfate?
- -1 mg per 100 U of heparin administered within the past 4 hrs.
- -Infuse slowly: no faster than 50 mg over 10 mins