The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Realistic Notation of Canonization
- Long process 350
- organic / natural
- Conspirarcy theories have no historical crediablity
Arbitrary misguided notion regaurding canonization
Emperor constantine/ pope/ groups of bishops decided what books would be in the NT
Careful objective misguided notions about canonization
Church leaders had a clear set of objective criteria
Process of Canonization
- 1. Writing the books
- 2. The early circulation of these books to churches among the Roman Empore
- 3. Books are used by churches
- 4. Need to identify authoritive literature
- 5. Formal recognition / approval of NT canon
Result of Canonization
- Some books were unanimously accepted such as the 4 gospels and 13 letters of paul
- Some books were excluded such as Apoc of Peter
- Some where considered Heretical like the Gospel of Peter
Informal criteria used in forming the NT Canon
- Widespread use
Significance of exile
- Following the law became important
- Formation of the synagogues
- More developed thoughts on the afterlife / ressurection
- Systems of angel/demonology developeed
Alexander the Great created ......
What is hellenization
Spread the greek culture (lang, religionm entertainment, ideas, education) throughout the known world
The Actions of Antiochaus IV "Eiphanes"
- outlawed juduism and killed/torutured whoever remained faith to it
- force preist to scarifice pigs in the temple
- forced greek culture
- looted jewish temples
The Maccabean Revolt
- after Antiochus issued his decrees forbidding Jewish religious practice Mattathias sparked the revolt against the Seleucid Empire:
- -by refusing to worship the Greek gods.
- -killed a Hellenistic Jew who stepped forward to offer a sacrifice to an idol in Mattathias' place.
The War of Jewish independance
- After Mattathias dies his son Judas takes control
- the temple is cleansed and rededicated
When was the Jewish independance?
The Hasmonean Dynasty
- Ruled from 166-63 BC
- Fought with the Selucid and eachother
- They had mixed religion and politics which led to alot of corruption
The Manner of Roman Rule
Ruled by Client kings and Roman Governers (Herold the Great and Pontitus Pilate)
The genre of the gospels
The synoptic problem
Realities in text same stories, events, even wording but they also have there differences
Historical criteria for evaluation the "historical Jesus"
- Multiple Attestation
Meaning of the "historical jesus"
- we can verify through historical means
- Son of God
- God's messiah
- crucified by Pontius Pilate
What is common judaism?
- Belief in one God
- God created the world
- God was sovereign over the entire world
- They believed in the Torah