bio test 1
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
polymers made of monomers called monosaccharides ("one sugar").
Oligosaccharides "few sugar"
Polysaccharides "many sugars"
two most common monosaccharides?
Glucose and Fructose.
Polysaccharides are formed when monosaccharides are linked together via.
the simplest polysaccharides consist of two sugars and are called?
a Hydroxyl group of a sugar is?
Most common disaccharide?
- Made from two monomers (1 glucose and 1 fructose)
- found only in plants
- used for stored energy
- consist entirely of a-glucose monomers
- found only in animals
- used for stored energy (in liver and muscles)
- consists entirely of a-glucose monomers
- found only in plants.
- major component of the cell wall.
- consist entirely of beta-glucose monomers linked in parallel strands.
- found in the cell walls of fungi and the external skeleton of insects.
- consist entirely of N-acetylglucosamine (Nac) monomers in parallel strands
- found only in bacteria
- major component in the cell wall
- consists of two different monosaccharides
what do carbohydrates do?
- Building blocks
- provide structure
- provide cell identity
- store chemical energy
carbohydrate Building blocks?
they are the building blocks for other molecules like DNA and RNA.
corbohydrates providing structure?
- give strength and elasticity
- like cellulose in plant cell walls
- like chitin in a insects exoskeleton
- like peptidoglycan in bacterial cell walls
carbohydrates provide cell identity?
Glycoproteins (a protein + a oligosaccharide) project outward from the cell to produce cell to cell recognition and signaling.
Carbohydrates store and provide chemical energy?
the energy of photosynthesis is stored in the form of potential energy of the position of the shared electrons.
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview