Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards
. What would you like to do?
What amount of blood defines a deadly blled?
any pool of blood bigger than their head
Assault versus battery?
- Assault: the perception of harm or threat
- Battery: actual act of contacting a Pt.
AOCP & NOCP?
- AOCP: Alberta Occupational Competency Profile
- NOCP: National Occupational Competency Profile
Primary Care Paramedic?
Advanced Care Paramedic?
When auscultating you are comparing...?
Apices with Apices and Bases to Bases.
Critical Care Paramedic?
Can coordinate STARS
During rapid wet check if you find something it?
- gets dealt with straight away, AND
- you then change your gloves
TIC for pelvis?
pushing inwards ONLY
Quality question is?
"if you had one word to describe your symptoms…"
CMS is checked?
bilaterally at the same time.
method for Upper extremities CMS check?
Cross two fingers and get them to squish that: cant cause pain!
Negative versus positive feedback loops?
- -ve feedbacks can turn on and off like a regulator.
- +ve feedbacks only increase until stimulus is removed
describe the Arachnoid layer
is webbed like a web and is where blood flows through
What do the Meniges cover?
Dura Mater/Arachnoid/Pia Mater - also cover your spinal cord
Aqueous humor versus vitreous humor
- Aqueous: between the lens and cornea and can be refreshed.
- Vitreous: cannot be refreshed.
How many ribs do you have? Describe them.
- You have 12 pairs of ribs
- 8, 9, 10, are false ribs (dont attach to sternum)
- 11 and 12 are floating ribs
What is your main pacemaker for your heart?
What do the nodes in the heart do?
- SA: Pacemaker
- AV: job is to delay the signal
- Purkinje fibers: send the signal around the Ventricles
Brain stem (medulla oblongata) controls main body functions (BP, resps, pulse) and it also monitors hypoxic and CO2 levels.
Where / angle to take pulse?
Don’t reach across neck for pulse: check jugular on the same side as you are
BP by palpation concerns?
is about 10 below real level
How to swab a finger or wound?
do it in a circular manner thus clearing away any germs
Skin Temp from where?
Remember with kids that you take skin C/C/T temp from the abdomen!
Where to take BGL?
Use non dominant hand
A thready pulse is?
one that is hard to find.
Spiel for Oral glucose admin?
"Pt. will take the glucose orally"
OPA orientation for insertion?
Bevel (the hole) towards the septum (middle)
- Rigid: no further than you can see
- Soft: Measure like an OPA
GI/GU practical questions?
- When was your last bladder and bowel movement?
- Was there any bleeding or anything unusual about your last bladder or bowel movement?
- Have you been coughing up blood? (coffee-ground like appearance)
- Is there any chance you could be pregnant?
Poisoning / Overdose practical questions?
- What have you taken?
- How much did you take?
- When did you take it?
- Why did you take it?
- What else have you taken?
- How much do you weigh?
- Contact poison control
OB/GYN practical questions?
- How long have you been pregnant?
- When are you due?
- Gravida / Para?
- What prenatal care have you had?
- Do you feel as though you have to push or move your bowels?
- Have you had any spotting or bleeding?
- Any gushing of fluid from the vagina?
- Have you had a complicated pregnancy in the past?
- Is there any possibility of a multiple birth?
- Does your doctor expect any complications?
- Are you on any meds?
- Do you have any risk factors?
- Are you having contractions?
- --- Onset?
- --- Frequency?
- --- Duration?
- --- Strength?
Simple face mask flow and O2?
Venturi flow and O2?
- Depends on color
- 24% - 50%
BVM w/out Reservoir flow and O2?
When bagging, how long to squeeze bag?
A full O2 tank holds psi?
is always 2000psi
What is the Pharmacokinetic Phase?
the study of how the body handles a drug over a period of time, including...
4 partsthe Pharmacokinetic Phase?
6 Factors affecting drug absorption?
- Drug Dissolution
- Concentration of the drug
- Absorbing surface area
- pH of the drug
- Site of absorption & it’s blood supply
- Solubility of the drug
4 Factors affecting drug distribution?
- Cardiovascular function
- Regional blood flow
- Drug storage reservoirs
- Physiological barriers eg. blood-brain & placental barriers
Health Disciplines Act replaced by the?
Health Professions Act
Health Disciplines Act covering EM scope?
Def of Negligence?
The act of deviating from the accepted standard of care through carlessness, inattention, disregard, inadvertence, or oversight that was accidental but unavoidable
Pt.s have how long to file a Negligence claim against you?
4 things that must exist for Negligence to apply?
- Duty to act: you must provide care to pt.s who need and consent toit
- Breech of duty: Failure to act within te expected and reasonable standard of care
- Damages: physical or psychological harm
- Cause: EMR caused the damages
Nebulizer O2 flow rate?
5 - 8 L/min
Salbutamol Neb dose?
- Saline: 2.5 mL nebule (1mg/mL)
- Dose: 2.5 – 5.0 mg
- Saline: 2.5 mL
- Dose: 0.15 mg/kg or;
- < 10 kg: 1.25 mg
- 10-20 kg: 2.5 mg
- > 20 kg: 2.5 – 5.0 mg
Ipra Brom Neb dose?
- Adult: 250 – 500 mcg
- Pediatric (ages 5-11): 25-250 mcg
Chief cause of Priapism?
Load and Go criteria?
- Any altered LOC or memory loss
- Any complications with ABCs
- Bilateral femur fractures
- unstable pelvis
- medical abdominal issues
- Thoracic trauma
- isolated c-Spine injury is NOT Load & Go
O2 regulator not affected by gravity?
Fiting a OPA in pediatric patients?
Use tongue depressor to hold tongue out of the way
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview