Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Name and describe the tissues of the periodontium
- -alveolar mucosa
- -mucogingival junction
- -attached gingiva
- -free gingiva
- -interdental papilla
Describe the prevalence of periodontal disease
- Is the leading cause of tooth loss in adults.
- Almost 75% of American adults have some form of periodontal disease, most are unaware of the condition.
- Almost all adults & children have calculus on their teeth.
Name the structures thta make up the periodontium
- Ephithelial attachment
- Periodontal ligaments
- Alveolar bone
Identify systemic factors that influence periodontal disease.
- diabetes mellitus
- poor oral hygiene
- Local factors
Identify and describe the two main types of periodontal disease.
- Gingivitis: inflammation of the gingival tissue. Most common and easy to treat.
- Periodontitis: Inflammatory disease of the supportingtissues of the tooth.
Explain the significance of plaque and calculus in periodontal disease.
- Plaque: primary factor causing periodontal disease.
- Calculus: formed by calcium & phosphate salts. Ataches to tooth surface
Identify the risk factors that contribute to periodontal disease.
- Inflammation cause by and accumulation of bacteria plaque
Describe the systemic conditions that are linked to periodontal disease
- heart disease
- arthritis & failure of artificial joints
- Neurological disease
- diabetes mellitus
- pulmonary disease
Describe the clinical characteristics of gingivitis.
- Color: pale pink, w/o generalized dark brown pigment
- Consistency: Firm, resilient
- Surface texture: Free gingival
- Contour: Gingival margin 1-2mm above CEJ
- Size: Free marginal gingiva is near CEJ
- Probing depth: 0-4mm no apical migration of JE
Describe the progression of periodontitis
- Chronic periodontitis- inflammation of supporting tissue, increase by age
- Aggressive periodontitis- before 35, rapid rate of progression of tissue destruction
- Necrotizing periodontal disease-severe & rapid periodontal destruction
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview