Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What a load?
its a force acting on a member or structure
What kinds of loads can a structural member experience and what can that create?
- tension and shear forces resulting in stresses
What are the 3 kinds of loads?
- Dead- permenently in place items or structures
- live- occupancy objects that can be moved
- snow and wind
- seismic- eg earthquakes
FYI- master stream delivers 4700 l/min and that translates to a load of up to 4700 kg/min added to a structure
what is the typical safety factor for a building?
What are collumns and what are the 3 types?
- A column is a structural member that transmits axial compression loads
- 1 piers or compression blocks
- 2 short or intermediate
- 3 long or slender
What is a beam? 3 types?
- structural member that carries loads acting in a direction which is transverse to the longitudinal axis of the member
- 1 simple supported at both ends
- 2 continuious supported in 3 or more locations
- 3 cantilevers rigidly supported at one end and project over a support point on the other
What is a truss?
framed structural member that utilizes a triangle or group of triangles in a plane to carry transverse loads.
What are the kinds of trusses (9)?
- inverted king
- inverted queen
- room in the attic
what are the three types of building materials?
- fire resistant
what is considered a high rise building?
- over 36 meters
- or over 18 meters with a high occupancy to egress formula ratio
- two types concrete + steel
What are low rise?
low rise and industrial are general terms that cover buildings that are up to aprox 6 stories difference from high rise is reduced code req. for fire resistance.
what are the 3 types of roofs?
flat, pitched and arched
the 6 types of pitched roofs?
hip, mansard, lantern, shed, gambrel, gable
What is the spotting zone when parking apparatus by an involved structure?
Allow for a collapse zone of 1.5 times the height of the building
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview