The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What does the spine consist of?
- Supporting skeletal structure
- vertebral column
- CNS pathway
- spinal cord
What is the Vertebral Column?
- hollow skeletal tube made of vertebrae
- provides skeletal support
- permits movement of the head
- maintains the shape of the thoracic cage
- supports the upper body
- forms the posterior aspect of the pelvis
- protects the spinal cord
What is a vertebrae?
- 33 bones making up the vertebral column
- singular is vertebra
What is the vertebral body?
- short column of bone that forms the weight-bearing portion of the vertebra
- cylinder of skeletal tissue made up of cancellours bone surrounded by a layer of hard compact bone
What is the spinal canal?
Opening in the vertebrae that accomodates the spinal cord
What are the pedicles?
- thick bony struts that connect the vertebral bodies w/ the spinous & transverse processes
- help make up the opening of the spinal canal
What are the laminae?
- Posterior bones of a vertebra
- Help make up the opening of the spinal canal
What is the transverse process?
- bony outgrowth of the vertebral pedicule
- serves as a site for muscle attachment
- articulation for the ribs
What is the spinous process?
prominence at the posterior part of a vertebra
What are intervertebral disks?
- cartilaginous pad b/t vertebrae
- serves as a shock absorber
- limits bone wear
- makeup 25% of total length of spinal column
What are the divisions of the vertebral column?
- Cervical spine
- Thoracic spine
- Lumbar spine
- Sacral spine
- Coccygeal spine
Image of the vertebral column divisions
The Cervical Spine
- consists of '7' vertebrae
- sole skeletal support of the head
- C1 is called the atlas & permits nodding
- C2 is called the axis & permits twisting/turning
- C7 is last cervical vertebrae & can be palpated
The Thoracic Spine
- consists of '12' vertebrae
- ribs are connected to those vertebra
The Lumbar Spine
- consists of '5' vertebrae
- carry the weight of the head. neck & thorax
- bear the forces of bending & lifting
The Sacral Spine
- consists of '5' vertebral
- attaches the pelvis & lower extremities to the skeleton
- upper body balances on the sacrum
The Coccygeal Spine
- consists of '3-5' fused vertebrae
- residual elements of a tail
What are the Spinal Meninges?
- membranes that surround & protect brain & spinal cord
- consists of dura mater, the arachnoid, the pia mater