cell structures and functions.txt
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Surrounds all cells, regulates the passage of materials in and out of the cell.
Found only in plants, it is a structure that surrounds and protects the plant cells-- supports and provides shape-- made of cellulose (polysaccharides)
Large, usually circular organelle that carries Chromosomes and controls cell division. Control center of cell.
Surrounds Nucleus-- controls movement of material in and out of Nucleus.
Center of Nucleus. Makes Ribosomes.
Fine strands of DNA found in the Nucleus.
Chromatin that has thickened for cell reproduction.
A fluid that takes up space between organelles. Filled with microtubules and filaments that hold the structure for the cell. Jelly-like.
Storage sacs of the cell-- hold water and food.
Site where proteins are made (protein factory). Made of RNA. DNA instructs ribosomes which proteins to make.
- Two types: Rough and smooth.
- Involved with the transport of proteins.
- Often called protein plumbing.
- Takes/transports vesicles from the Endoplasmic Reticulum then moves them outside of cell.
- Layered trash sacs in cell-- waste and proteins.
- Filled with enzymes-- break down proteins for digestion (breaks down proteins for cell structure)
- Suicide sacs-- if one bursts, it will digest itself.
Takes fuel and turns it into energy for the cell. (Location for cellular respiration).
Folded surfaces inside Mitochondria that increase work area in less space.
Only found in plants. Stores pigments. Chloroplasts make plants green (chlorophyll)
Hair-like projections on cell membrane that help it move.
Long tail used in locomotion.
Animal cells only: Used in cell reproduction.
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview