Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Why do we need energy?
- -build new compounds
- -muscle contraction
- -nervous system
- -ion balance in cells
How do we define energy?
- -amt. Of heat needed to increase the temp. of 1 gram of water 1 deg. C (celsious)
-referred to as kilocalorie
What r the 3 national health statuses?
- 1) desirable
- 2) undernutrition
- 3) overnutrition
What r the two deficiencies in undernutrition, and wut do they mean?
Subclinical: no symptons visible.
Clinical: symptoms visible
List two negative effects of overnutrition.
Nut. Assessment; what r the ABCDE's?
- -physical measurements
- -nutrients, metabolites in blood, urine, etc.
- -physical evidence of poor health
- -foods consumed
- -edu. And env. background
What influences disease risk?
- -lifestyle and diet
-genetic mutations in some diseases
What are 6 steps in the scientific method?
- 1) phenomena observed
- 2) hypothesis generated
- 3) research conducted
- 4) hypothesis is proven/disproven, model formed
- 5) research results are peer-reviewed
- 6) results r published and additional expriments r planned.
Are dietary supplements regulated by the FDA?
- No. No approval rq'd.
- Doesn't need to be proven safe
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview