The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Where did most of the backcountry people come from?
- Northern England
- Southwestern Scottland
- Northern Ireland (Scotch-Irish)
What are the Scotch-Irish?
Scotch people kicked out of Scottland, then moved through Ireland
What were their origin lands like?
- Not fertile
- Rocky soil
- A lot of sustinence farming
- A harsh way to live
What was their living like?
- Great poverty and violence
How many kings did the backcountry people go through?
7 centuries of kings of England and Scottland faught over land
How did they feel about family?
Loyal to family over king
How did they feel about government?
Didnt like the government
How did they get to America?
They had just enough money to pay their way to america
How did other people react to them?
They did not like them at all
What was their religion?
How was their attitude toward their enemies?
They had a militaristic set of mind and prayed for the death of enemies
What are their church services like?
- Shouting and crying
- When a preacher comes into town they have tent revivials.
Where did they go once in America?
They first went to New England then were quicked out by quakers, finally they settled in frontier/backcountry
How did they speak?
- With a scotch-irish dialect
- Used vulgar expressions & and body function words commonly
- Sexual names were also common
What did they build for houses?
Log cabins called "Pens" (single, double, or dog-trot pen)
What family did they live with?
What did family mean to them?
It meant "clan" which went down to four generations
What was their loyalty to their families?
Great sense of honor and shame (family fueds)
What is the most famous family feud?
Hatfields and McCoys
How did they keep order?
- Practiced the rule of retaliation
- Lynch's law- swift justice
How did they marry?
- Often in the same clan
- Usually through bridal abduction
- Very young
What is a bridal abduction?
- Where there groom goes and takes his bride
- Mostly voluntary
- Drinking and heavy arms were common at both types of weddings
Why was prenuptial pregnancy high?
There were not many preachers that came by to marry couples so they just said they were married
What was the stereo type for men?
- They were worriors
- Very strong
- They didnt do house work at all
What was the stereo types for women?
Women worked around the house and were very weak
What were marriages like?
- Love and violence were common ingrediants
- Few women were left bc of fear of getting attacked
What were children taught?
Fierce pride & stubborn independance & worriors
What items did they let their children play with?
- Play guns
How did they punish their children?
- Usually alcohol influenced
- Runaways and fightong were commom
- Trying to kil parents was common
What were the sports like?
Very violent (simular to war)
What were some sports they had?
- Throwing axes
- Eye gouging
- Many games involved guns
What was the food like?
- Not good
- Potatoes, pancakes, & grits common
- Pork was main meal
- Wiskey main beverage
What were tenant or squatters known as?
What was another type of belief they had?
- They were very superstitious
- Not educated and learned alot by oral culture