Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What elements does protein contain?
Carbon (C), hydrogen (H), oxygen (O) and nitrogen (N)
What other elements can protein sometimes contain?
Sulfur (S) and phosphorus (P)
What sub-units are proteins made up of?
How many different types of amino acids are there?
What kind of bonds hold amino acids together?
What are the long chains amino acids are joined together by called?
What determines the structure and function of the protein?
The sequence of amino acids
What are the two types of proteins? (in their tertiary structure)
Fibrous or globular
Describe fibrous proteins and give an example
- Fibrous proteins are structural proteins
- They are made up of long parallel polypeptide chains
- They have contractile properties
- Examples include keratin in your hair, collagen in bone and tendons, actin and myosin in muscle
Describe globular proteins and give an example
- Globular proteins are more of a sphere shape
- They are enzymes, some hormones, structural proteins and antibodies
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview