Reconstruction Chapter 12
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards
. What would you like to do?
rebuilding after war
Proclomation of Amnesty and Reconstruction
which offered a general amnesty to all southerners who took an oath loyalty to the U.S. Then they could organize a new state government
- leader of the Radical Republicans
- wanted to revolutionize Southern institutions, habits, and manners.
Radical Republicans Goals
- wanted to prevent the leaders of the Confederacy rom retiring to power after war
- wanted Republicans to become powerful
- they wanted to help AAs become politically equal
moderate and radical republicans thought of a more lenient. So they made Confederates take an oath, abolish slavery, reject debts the state had to pay for confederates, and they are never allowed back in congress
indirectly vetoing a bill by letting a session of Congress expire without signing the bill
persons freed from slavery
helped them get food, shelter, water, clothes, jobs on plantations, as well as education
Johnson's Proclomation of Amnesty
pardon all former confederates but excluded wealthy former confederates who owned more then 20,000 dollars and abolished slavery
laws passed in the South just after the Civil War aimed at controlling freedmen and enabling plantation owners to exploit AA's work. Intended to keep AA's in a simulate condition as slavery.
Civil Rights Act
Granted citizenship to all persons born in the U.S. This allowed AA's to own property and treated equally in court.
granted citizenship to all persons born or naturalized in the U.S. and cannot be deprived of life, liberty, or property without due process of law.
Military Reconstruction Act
wiped out Johnson's act. It divided the former confederacy into 5 military districts
Command of the Army Act
required all orders from the president to go through the headquarters of the general army (Grant's army)
Tenure of Office Act
required senate to approve the removal of any government official
to remove from office because of misconduct in office
declared the right to vote shall not be denied on account of race, color, or precious condition of servitude.
Northerns who arrived with suitcases made of carpet fabric
white Southerners who worked with the Republicans and supported Reconstruction
gaining money illegally through politics
African American Communitites
- desire to learn and educate
- built churches and religion became a central role in their lives
- supported each other
- Goals was to drive Union troops out of the south and regain control of the South with the Democratic Party
- broke up Republican meetings, burned AA'S communities and kept them from voting.
- cant interfere with citizens right to vote
- elections were under supervision of federal marshals
- KKK act outlawed their activites
federal tax on alcohol and tobacco
split from republicans because they agreed with Democrates about sin taxes. Didn't want Grant for second term so they nominated Greeley, but didn't win.
accepted bribes from merchants at army posts in the West
government officials cheated the government out of a million dollars by filing in false tax reports
Panic of 1873
made smaller banks close and stock markets to plummet. Businesses shut down and people were thrown out of work. A lot of economic depression
- Republicans nominated him to run for prize.
- not fair election cause there were 8 republicans and 7 democrats. Southern democrats joined them and helped him win
Democrates nominated him for prez
Compromise of 1877
promise by republicans to pull federal troops out of the South
they developed a strong industrial economy, which helped build railroads and built iron and steel industries as well as tobacco and cotton mills.
farmer who works land owned by another and pays rent either in cash or crops
farmer who works land for an owner who provides equipment and seed and receives a share of the crop
merchant who provides sharecroppers with supplies on credit at high interest rates
obligation placed on a farmer to repay a debt with crops
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview