- If the spouse or certain dependent relatives continue to reside in the home, it is excluded.
- Also, if the applicant intends to return to the home, the home is excluded. However, a person
- who is eligible for Medicaid benefits in Texas may not exclude a home in another state.
Without proper planning, a nursing home resident may not be able to leave their home to their family, but instead their heirs may have to sell the home to repay the state for the amount of Medicaid benefits received.
- Vehicle - One vehicle is excluded if its current retail
- value is $4,500.00 or less. However, the value of a vehicle used for medical purposes at least four times per year is unlimited. In some
- cases, another vehicle may be exempt
Burial Funds and Prepaid Funeral Contracts
- Life Insurance -total face value of all of the
- policies is equal to or less than $1500.00,
- Up to $10,000 of an irrevocable burial contract
- Properly Structured Immediate Annuities - Assets placed into a properly structured Medicaid Friendly Annuity are excluded assets. There
- are several requirements when applying for Medicaid benefits that must be met in order for the assets placed into the annuity to be excluded.