1. amylase (enzyme) breaks down some starch and glycogen in saliva
2. high PH in stomach inhibits amylase- no digestion takes place in the stomach
3. Pancreatic enzymes(including pancreatic amylase) complete digestion at the microvilli in the small intestines
4.After absorption into the blood, all sugars are transported to the liver via the hepatic portal system
5. 40% is released directly into the blood stream & is immediately metabolized in the mitochondria of each cell for energy; this causes a natural rise in blood sugar levels 1/2 hour later.
- 6. The other 60 %- some is stored in the liver and muscles as glycogen;
- some is converted to ketoacids , amino acids, and proteins; some is converted to fat (trigycerides) and is stored in adipose tissue.