The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Explain the ways African American lives improved.
- 20% owned land by debt mannipulation.
- Multilpe Jobs---->Borrow Money for Crop Implements--->Crop output goes up.
- Rise in Voting (Over 50% of AA men who were allowed voted)
- Rise in AA holding offices
- SC State Legislature in 1868 were aa majority of AA.
- Literacy Rate Improved
How did African Americans lives worsen?
- 60% were tennant farmers, sharecroppers and dealt with debt.
- 20% were wage laborers.
- There weren't a lot of African Americans in Office
- AA had segregated education.
What's the Wade-Davis Bill? Why is it important?
- The Wade-Davis Bill was the Radical Reconstruction Plan formed in 1864.
- 1.) 50% of rebellious white male population have to supply an oath of loyalty.
- 2.)All newly admitted states need to rewrite a new constitution.
- -Who is qualified to write the new constitution?
- *the one's who were NEVER involved in the rebellion.
- 3.) Content-They must all get rid of slavery, ex-confederates cannot vote, if you lended moneey to a confederate you WILL NOT get paid back because you supported treason.
- 4.) Occupation-All conferderate must be under military control until they are no longer a "foreign" country.
Compromise of 1877. What is it? Why is it important?
- The Compromise of 1877 was written to solve an issue of who becomes the President in 1876 election.
- Committee of 15 men
- -Submit a bill n who they think should be president.
- -7 Democrats
- -7 Republicans
- -1 Individual
- The Bill chooses Hayes 8 to 7
- Democrats threaten to filibuster the Bill but in turn Republicans make a deal to...
- 1.) Get Rid of Reconstruction
- -Remove Troops
- -Restore Political autonomy to the States
- 2.) Appoint a Southerner
- 3.) Federal Money for Infastructure
Why is there no marxism in the US?
- 1.) Divided Working Class
- -race, ethnicity, gender, location, job skill
- 2.)Political Particpation
- 3.) Promise of a better life
- 4.) Class Permeabiltiy
- 5.)Marx is a foreigner
How do workers take control of the working class?
- Class Cooperation
- -Skilled Laborers
- -Native Born
- American Federation of Laborers (A.F.L)
- *It was a union that adopted class cooperation. They were capitolist.
- What does the A.F.L want?
- -Higher Wages
- -Shorter Work Day (10hr work day, 6 days a week)
- -Recognize the Union
- *Collective Bargining
- -Limit Immigration
- -Get rid of Anti-Union Laws
- -New Corporatism---Philosophy with Workers
- Class Conflict
- -Breaking tools
- -Feigning Illnesses
- - Violence (Individual Acts)
- -Work Slowdowns
- International Workers of the World (I.W.W)
- *Adopted the Idea of class conflict
- *Marxist revolutionaries
- *Idea was to unify all workers
- *Objective was to overthrow capitolism
- *they beleived the workers' should own the factories, not hthe actual owners because the provide nothing to society.
- *50,000 workers at their height
Why did African American's move to Baltimore?
- -Existing African American Society
- *Brick Making
- *Dock makers
- *Canning (Industrial Food Production)
- *Create and Preserve
- *Atomized (broken into small pieces)
What are the underlying causes of Imperialism?
- 1.) Model-Westward Expansion
- *People are rendered Powerless
- * Flora and fauna----Gone
- 2.) Expanding Economy
- *More reliant on Exports
- *50% of oil products of Standard Oil were exports
- *25% of sewing machines made by Singer were exported.
- *25% of written policies written by NY Life were overseas.
- *1865-$234 million worth of Exports
- *1890-$6.2 Billion worth of Exports
- 3.) Shift in Government Policy
- *Most Ships were designed for local defense.
- *USS Monitor--Iron Clad-Union Vessel-Only moved 6mph
- -1875 Alfred Mahen wrote- The Influence of Sea Power upon History
- -All New Ships for Navy
- *Made of Steel
- *Turrets with Breach Loading
- *Guns with Armor Piercing shells
- *Steam engines made the ships faster
- *Ships ran on coal
- -Land Aqusition
- *Refueling stations for Naval and Civiallian Ships
- 4.) Competition
- * if the economy is weak, we have nothing.
Explain the Venzuelan Crisis.
- *Shows that the US is trying to control Latin America.
- *Venezuela and Guianna were in constant battle over where the state borders were. One day a Venzuelan found a large piece of gold, the Guinna tried to claim it was their. US threatened war, Bristish backed off.