Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What is life?
- Organisms have stragegies that attempt to maximize statistical probablities.
- 1. Reproduction--> More important
- 2. Life Span--> Less important
- Better to reproduce more and live shorter
- Sum of number of successful genes passed on in offspring and kin, benefiting the individuals gene pool.
- Measured scientifically by grandoffspring.
- Benefiting recipient at cost of giver (minor or major)
- No true altruism
- Anytime you do something for someone else you expect something back.
- Tit-for-Tat--> I'll help you, you help me
- Adam Smith- "it is not for the genorosity of the butcher or the baker that we get our dinner"
What good are organisms?
Life support system for DNA
- Autosomal Recessive
- Autosomal Dominant
- Sex-linked Genetic
Autosomal Recessive Diseases
- Autosomal--> chromosomes 1-22 (not sex chrom.) 2 bad copies from parents; both recessive alleles
- Phenylketonuria (PKU)
- Tay-Sachs Disease
- Sickle Cell Anemia
Autosomal Dominant Diseases
- Deposit in the brain
- One allele is present, you have disease
- Huntington's Disease
- Marfan Syndrome
Sex-linked Genetic Diseases
- Rarely female disease
- Duchenne/Becker Muscular Dystrophy
- Diseases caused by Abnormal Chromosomal Number
- Euploid--> true sets of chromosomes
- Aneuploid--> w/o true sets of chromosomes
Sex Chromosome Aneuploids
- Turner Syndrome
- Klinefelter Syndrome
- Symptoms--> Small heads, Epilepsy, Mental retardation, Musty odor, Light skin and hair color (due to tyrosine deficiency)
- Incidence and Testing--> 1 in 10,000 Caucasian births, Newborns tested for high phenylalanine levels, Further diagnoses are performed if these high levels are found
- Cause--> Phenylalanine levels increase because not properly metabolized (cannot be broken down into tyrosine), High levles build up in neurons of the CNS, causing retardation (Amino acid deposits in the brain).
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview