The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What is life?
- Organisms have stragegies that attempt to maximize statistical probablities.
- 1. Reproduction--> More important
- 2. Life Span--> Less important
- Better to reproduce more and live shorter
- Sum of number of successful genes passed on in offspring and kin, benefiting the individuals gene pool.
- Measured scientifically by grandoffspring.
- Benefiting recipient at cost of giver (minor or major)
- No true altruism
- Anytime you do something for someone else you expect something back.
- Tit-for-Tat--> I'll help you, you help me
- Adam Smith- "it is not for the genorosity of the butcher or the baker that we get our dinner"
What good are organisms?
Life support system for DNA
- Autosomal Recessive
- Autosomal Dominant
- Sex-linked Genetic
Autosomal Recessive Diseases
- Autosomal--> chromosomes 1-22 (not sex chrom.) 2 bad copies from parents; both recessive alleles
- Phenylketonuria (PKU)
- Tay-Sachs Disease
- Sickle Cell Anemia
Autosomal Dominant Diseases
- Deposit in the brain
- One allele is present, you have disease
- Huntington's Disease
- Marfan Syndrome
Sex-linked Genetic Diseases
- Rarely female disease
- Duchenne/Becker Muscular Dystrophy
- Diseases caused by Abnormal Chromosomal Number
- Euploid--> true sets of chromosomes
- Aneuploid--> w/o true sets of chromosomes
Sex Chromosome Aneuploids
- Turner Syndrome
- Klinefelter Syndrome
- Symptoms--> Small heads, Epilepsy, Mental retardation, Musty odor, Light skin and hair color (due to tyrosine deficiency)
- Incidence and Testing--> 1 in 10,000 Caucasian births, Newborns tested for high phenylalanine levels, Further diagnoses are performed if these high levels are found
- Cause--> Phenylalanine levels increase because not properly metabolized (cannot be broken down into tyrosine), High levles build up in neurons of the CNS, causing retardation (Amino acid deposits in the brain).