The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
scapula and clavicle move how
clavicles articulation with sternum is only bony link to axial skeleton T or F
move as a unit
sternoclavicular: what kind of joint?
multiaxial arthrodial (modified ball and socket)
thick capsule especially anterially and posterially
movements and degrees of sc joint?
- anterioly: 15 protraction
- posterioly: 15 retraction
- superioly: 45 elevation
- inferioly: 5 depression
sc ball and socket description
when is close pack?
rotation of clavicle around sternum
at max shoulder elevation
anterior and posterior ligamentous support of sc joint?
what do the costoclavicular and interclavicular ligaments provide?
- ant: anterior sc ligament
- post: posterior sc ligament
provide stability against superior displacement
acromioclavicular joint... what kind??
what kind of capsule compared to sc?
thinner capsule than sc
ac has 20 to 30 degrees of ___ ____ and rotational motion accompanying shoulder girdle and ___ ___ motions
total gliding & shoulder joint
AC is supported by??
- coracoclavicular ligament
- superior acromioclavicular ligament
- inferior acromioclavicular ligament
scapulothoracic joint... what kind?
supported by what? and not supported by what?
not a true synovial joint
supported by mm not ligaments
scapulothoracic movement depends on what??
depends on SC and AC joints which allow scapula to move...
scapula moves how due to scapulothoracic joint???
- 25 abduction and adduction (pro and retraction)
- 60 of upward and downward rotation
- 55 of elevation and depression
movements of shoulder girdle focus on specific bony landmarks which are???
shoulder girdle movements = _____ movements
- inferior angle
- glenoid fossa
- acromion process
what are all the shoulder girdle movements?
ab ad downward and upward rotation depression and elevation
abduction and adduction of girdle specifics?
ab is protraction and scapula moves laterally from mid line
ad is retraction and scap moves medially from mid line
upward and downward rotation specifics of girdle??
upward rotation: turning glenoid fossa upward and moving inferior angle superolaterally away from spinal column
downward: returning inferior angle infromedially toward the spinal column and glenoid fossa to normal position
elevation and depression of shoulder girdle??
elevation: upward or superior movement such as shrugging shoulders
depression: downward or inferior movement as in returning to normal position
shooulder girdle is dependent on shoulder joint and its muscles??
girdle muscles stabilize scapula so that shoulder joint muscles will have....?
a stable base to exert force from moving the humerus
girdle mms contract to maintain scapula in a relatively ____ ____ during shoulder joint actions
girdle mms contract to move shoulder girldle and enhance movement of ___ ___ when shoulder goes through extreme ranges of ___
for some movements the scapula must ___ or ____ on its axis
lateral tilt is ___ tilt
rotate & tilt
when does lateral tilt take place?
- scap rotates about its axis resulting in posterior movement of medial border and anterior movement of lateral border
when does medial tilt (return from lateral tilt, inward tilt) take place?
- extreme adduction
- scap rotates about its vertical axis resulting in anterior movement of medial border and posterior movement of lateral border
when does anterior tilt (upward tilt) take place?
- rotational movement of scap about frontal axis occurring during gh hyper extension
- superior border moving anterioinferiorly and inferior angle moving posteriosuperioly
posterior (downward) tilt occurs when??
- rotational movement of scapula about frontal axis during gh hyperflexion
- superior border moving posterioinferiorly and inferior angle moving anterosuperiorly
without accompanying of scapular movement the humerus can only be raised 90 degrees of total shoulder flexion and abduction
t or f?
what is an example of synergy of mms of gh joint?
to raise hand out to the side laterally as high as possible the serratus anterior and traps upwardly rotate scap as supraspinatus and deltoid initiate gh abduction
6 muscles primarily involved in shoulder girdle movements
pec minor, serratus anterior, levator scapula, rhomboid major and minor, trapezius, subclavius
These muscles are essential in providing...?
dynamic stability of the scapula so it can serve as a relative base of support for shoulder joint activities like throwing etc.
muscles and actions of them posterioly and laterally?
serratus ant: abduction and upward rotation
muscle actions antieriorly are?
pec minor: (minor is girdle, major is GH) - abduction, downward rotation and depression
subclavius is depression
muscles and actions posteriorly (traps)??
- traps: upper fibers are elevation (ext of head)
- mid fibers are elevation ( adduction) and upward rotation... most strength here
- lower fibers are adduction, depression, and upper rotation
posterior actions contd?!
- rhomboid: adduction, downward rotation, and elevation
- levator scapulae: elevation
Nerves: shoulder girdle mms are primarily innervated by ____ and ____ plexus
cervical and brachial
levator scapulae muscle origin and insertion??
- o: C1 through C4
- i: media border of scapula
rhomboid mms work together to do what actions??
- downward rotation
pectoralis minor does what shoulder girdle movements?
- abduction: scap forward and tends to tilt lower border away from ribs
- downward rotation: as adducts draws scapula downward
- depression: when scap is rotated upward it assists in depression
what are the movements of the serratus interior?
- abduction: draws medial border of scapula away from vertebra (push ups)
- upward rotation: as scap goes further away from vert scap rotates forward
what are the movements of the subclavius?
- stabilizatoin and protection of sc joint
scapular adduction consists of what???
and what are the agonists??
- return from abduction
- occurs with retraction
agonists: mid trap and rhomboids
scapular abduction consitsts of what??
what are the agonists?
scapula moves laterally away from spinous process without rotation! (push up and bench press)
agonists: Pec minor and serratus anterior
scapular upward rotation consists of??
what are agonists?
lateral and upward movement
agonists: mid trap, lower trap, and serratus anterior
scapular downward rotation consists of???
what are the agonists?
- downward and medial movement
- glenoid fossa is rotated downward when downward movement of shoulder joint occurs (lat pulls)
agonists: levator scapula, upper trap, rhomboid
scapular elevation consists of what?
what are the agonists?
- lifting scapula without rotation in anatomical position
- (shoulder shrug)
agonists: levator scapula, upper trap, and rhomboid
what consists of scapular depression?
example is a dip
agonists: lower trap and pec minor
upper trap origin and insertion?
- Origin: Occipital bone, nuchal ligament on cervical spinous processes
- Insertion: Outer 3rd of clavicle, acromion process
middle trap origin and insertion?
- Origin: Spinous processes of C7 through T3
- Insertion: Scapular spine
lower trap origin and insertion?
- Origin: Spinous processes of middle and lower thoracic vertebrae
- Insertion: Base of scapular spine
pectoralis minor origin and insertion?
- Origin: Anterior surface, 3rd through 5th ribs
- Insertion: Coracoid process of scapula
serratus interior origin and insertion?
- Origin:Lateral surface of upper 8 ribs
- Insertion: Vertebral border of the scapula, anterior surface
levator scapulae origin and insertion?
- Origin: Transverse processes of first 4 cervical vertebrae
- Insertion: Vertebral border of scapula between superior angle and spine
what is the origin and insertion of the rhomboid major/minor?
- Origin: Spinous processes of C7 through T5
- Insertion: Vertebral border of scapula between the spine and inferior angle
what is the origin and insertion of the subclavius?
- Origin: First Rib
- Insertion: Subclavian groove/Clavicle
what are the ligaments associated with the sc joint?
- anterior sternoclavicular ligament
- costoclavicular ligament
- interclavicular ligament
- posterior sternoclavicular ligament