The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
smallest and simplest cells--single celled organism that lacks a nucleus and other internal compartments..can't carry out many specialized functions Common type-BACTERIA
Characteristics of Prokaryotes
- 1. can exist in a broad range of environmental conditions
- 2. Can cause infection in humans grow and divide very rapidly
- 3. some do not need oxygen to survive…others need it
- 4. some make their own food
- 5. no internal structure to divide cell-enzymes and ribosomes are free to move around
- 6. Has a single DNA molecule-usually in the center of the cell
- 7. Does have a cell wall for structure and support but lack an internal supporting skeletal
- 8. Some have a capsule that allows them to cling to almost anything, including teeth, skin and food
- 9. Many have flagella-strong threadlike structures that protrude from the cell's surface for movement.
seen in simple prokaryote cells-strong threadlike structures that protrude from the cell's surface for movement.