Card Set Information
smallest and simplest cells--single celled organism that lacks a nucleus and other internal compartments..can't carry out many specialized functions Common type-BACTERIA
Characteristics of Prokaryotes
1. can exist in a broad range of environmental conditions
2. Can cause infection in humans grow and divide very rapidly
3. some do not need oxygen to survive…others need it
4. some make their own food
5. no internal structure to divide cell-enzymes and ribosomes are free to move around
6. Has a single DNA molecule-usually in the center of the cell
7. Does have a cell wall for structure and support but lack an internal supporting skeletal
8. Some have a capsule that allows them to cling to almost anything, including teeth, skin and food
9. Many have flagella-strong threadlike structures that protrude from the cell's surface for movement.
seen in simple prokaryote cells-strong threadlike structures that protrude from the cell's surface for movement.