The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
a fear the communism would take over the u.s government?
immigrants who were suspected of suspcious political activity where arrested or deported?
only let 3% of those ethnic groups already living in the U.S in 1910 to come into the U.S
emergency quota act
changed quota act to 2% of ethnic groups living in US in 1890
national origins act
belief that foreigners could never fully be loyal to the u.s;
wanted restrictions on immigration
belief that human equalities are inherited and want to improve heredity traits
**dont associate of breed with those considered to be inferior
Sacco and Vanzetti?
- italian immigrants
- were arrested for the murder and robbery of 2 men
- ** unfair trial w/ biased jury
- - were convicted and executed
- belief that government should interfere as little as possible in the nation's economy
- **hands off approach
- campaigned from his porch in ohio
- *laid back
- was 1st pres to address over radio
who did harding run against?
James Cox (republican)
- raised import duties and protected farmers and new industry
- allowed president to raise and lower duties by as much as 50%
- secretary of treasury
- wanted to reduce federal debt
- reduced taxes for the wealthy, middle and lower income taxes
How much was owed to the U.S from allies?
what led to the washington conference?
- conflict of commercial rights in china
- people felt unsage after war, so nations continued building navy
- **goal- diarmament
4 power treaty?
- US, GB, france and japan
- accomplished mutual respect of pacific holdings
5 power treaty?
- US, GB, Japan, france and italy
- agreed to limit size of their navy
- US and japan agreed to not build new forts or naval bases in western pacific
- **no restrictions on building small warships
9 power treaty?
- US, GB, france, japan, italy, china, netherlands, portugal, and belgium
- incorporated open door policy
- agreed to respect chinas territory
- **allowed china to develop and maintain an effective and stable government
- *****no way to enforce it
open door policy?
equal trading rights
keep the workers happy
- created a different kind of work force
- **jobs lost to machines
- secretary of interior
- *encharge of protecting natural resources
Teapot dome scandal?
secretly leased oil fields once owned by the Navy to private businessmen in exchange for $400,00
Colonel Charles Forbes?
- head of veterans bureau
- stole $250 million from veteran programs
- convicted 2 years in jail and $10,000 fine
put close friends in high level positions
- was hardings VP, and became pres when harding died
- ran in 1924
- convention was first to be heard on radio
Democrat's were split on what 2 issues?
democrat who ran against Coolidge
- believed in laissez-faire
- did not help farmers
- told americans that the stock market was ok and it really wasnt
- attempt to outlaw war
- 64 nations signed
- kept right to defend themselves if attacked
- **no means of enforcement
to handle disputes and settle peacfully
Where did coolidge withdraw troops from?
- dominican republic