OT Exam 2
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards
. What would you like to do?
Give an overview of Abraham's life.
- Father of the nation of Israel
- From Ur in Mesopotamia
- Wife: Sarah (Sarai)
- Becomes semi-nomad in Canaan
- Becomes wealthy
What does it mean if Abraham was elected?
he was God chosen
What was God's promise to Abraham?
- make him a great nation
- will bless him and make him great
- will bless those who bless him & curse those who curse him
- all the people of the world would be blessed through him
How long would God's covenant with Abraham last?
it will continue through the life of Christ
Why was Abraham called?
because he risked everything to obey God
What was Abraham's mission?
to be a blessing to all nations
What was Abraham's biggest sign of faith?
What type of covenant did God have with Abraham?
- suzerain (God) & vassal (Abraham)
- a divine promise & human responsibility
What is covenant?
- a solemn, legal agreement between 2 parties
- the idea of an oath or a confirmation of promise
- includes specific responsibilities for each participant
- it is relational
What is equivalent to faith?
How was the covenant given?
What is karath?
to cut a covenant
What was the meaning of the karath?
it forshadowed the cross
What were Abram & Sarai's names changed to?
Abraham & Sarah
What was the sign of Abraham's covenant with God?
What is God's view of Abraham and what caused this view?
- Abraham is trustworthy
- caused by Abraham believing God
What is Abraham's view of God?
God is just
What is Abraham's first sign of fear?
- he is willing to "sacrifice" Sarai
- fear triumphs faith
How is God's promise to Abraham fulfilled?
- In The Future
What was the immediate fulfillment of God's promise to Abraham?
- burial ground
- son of promise (Isaac)
What was the future fulfillment of God's promise to Abraham?
the whole land and nation of Israel
What was the eternal fulfillment of God's promise to Abraham?
Messiah & the whole earth
What was the outcome of Abraham's willingness to "sacrifice" Isaac?
faith triumphed over fear
What was the purpose of Abraham sacrificing Isaac?
his obedience was being tested by sacrificing the son of promise
What does the sacrificing of Isaac foreshadow?
Christ on the cross
Where was Isaac to be sacrificed and what is the significance of it?
- Mt. Moriah
- "Once a holy place, always a holy place."
Who is the bridge between Adam and Jacob?
Who is Isaac? (relations)
- son of Abraham and Sarah
- Father of Jacob and Esau
What are Isaac's major life events?
- Binding (given as Abraham's sacrifice)
- Birth of Esau & Jacob
What does Esau's name mean?
- or Edom (red) (Edomites)
What does Jacob's name mean?
- he grasps by the heel
- struggled with God
Why does Jacob have conflict with Esau?
- Esau sells his birthright
- Jacob deceives his father and takes Esau's blessing
What is blessing?
the legal, oral pronouncement of material inhertance
Whose idea was it to deceive Isaac and steal Esau's birthright?
What are the results of Jacob stealing Esau's birthright?
- Esau vows to kill Jacob
- Jacob flees from Beersheba to Haran
Where does Jacob's spiritual journey take him?
- 1. Bethel
- 2. Haran (Paddam-Aram)
- 3. Penuel
- 4. Succoth
- 5. Shechem
- 6. Return to Bethel
What happens to Jacob at Bethel?
- vision of heavenly ladder
- Jacob's oath to Laban
What happened to Jacob in Haran (Paddam-Aram)?
- He gets married
- he gets cheated by Laban
Who are Jacob's wives?
Leah & Rachel
Who was Jacob's concubines?
- Zilpah (Leah's maid)
- Bilhah (Rachel's maid)
How many kids did Jacob have?
Who would Jacob's sons and daughters become?
the heads of 12 tribes
Who are the sons of Jacob and Leah?
Who are the sons of Jacob and Zilpah?
Gad and Asher
Who are the sons of Jacob and Rachel?
Joseph & Benjamin
Who is Jacob's daughter and who is her mother?
Name all of Jacob's children.
Who are Jacob and Bilah's sons?
How did Jacob end up in Penuel?
He fled from Laban
What happened to Jacob in Penuel?
- he prepares to meet Esau
- he struggles with God
- he reconciles with Esau
How did Jacob struggle with God?
wrestled with a man, an angle, or a theophany
What are the results of Jacob struggling with God?
- Jacob becomes "Israel"
- means "struggles with God"
What does Jacob do in Succoth?
builds an alter
What happens to Jacob in Shechem and what were the results of that?
- Dinah is raped
- brothers take revenge
- His house loses credibility in Canaan
What lessons can be learned from Jacob's life?
- 1. God accomplishes His purpose through whomever He wishes
- 2. God works with character flaws to develop the character He desires
What cause Joseph's brother's jealousy?
- Father's favoritism
- Joseph's dreams
What was Joseph's dreams that caused jealousy from his brothers?
- the 11 sheaths of grain bowing down to him
- the sun (father), moon (mother), and stars (brothers) bowing down to him
What was the result of Joseph's brother's jealousy?
Joseph was sold to the Midianites
Where did Joseph end up after his brothers sold him?
in Potiphar's house
What happens to Joseph at Potiphar's house?
- God gives him favor
- Potiphar's wife falsely accuses him
- he is sent to prison
What happens to Joseph in prison?
- the Lord blesses him
- he interprets dreams
What was Joseph's position in ruling Egypt?
- second in command to Pharoah
- King at time could have been "Hyksos"
Who are the Hyksos?
Asiatic people that invaded and rules Egypt in c. 1786-1550 B.C. (or 1567)
How does Joseph test his brothers?
- Brother's first journey:treats them as possible spies to find more information
- Brother's second journey:brings Benjamin
What happens after Joseph's brothers bring Benjamin to meet with him?
he reveals himself and reconciles with his brothers
What occurs as a result of Joseph revealing himself?
Jacob moves to Egypt
What does Jacob do to the sons of Joseph?
- blesses sons of Joseph
- Ephraim & Manasseh are adopted by Jacob
- Ephraim (younger) is placed ahead of Manasseh (elder)
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview