Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
what is the star at the center of our solar system?
what is a nebula?
cloud of gas and dust
what does nebula come from?
explotion of stars
how are new elements created ?
what are the inner planets classified as?
- terrestial planets
- -small and rocky with atmospheres
what are the outer planets classified as?
gas giants-solids formed of hydrogen compounds, metals and rocks
what is the transition zone between two regions?
nuclear fusion triggered in core released ______ and stopped contraction
what is rocky particles and gases coalesce into planets?
how many classical planets are there?
how many dwarf planets are there?
there are ____ known satelites
what is the site of nuclear fusion?
what are the teretrial planets?
what is mercury atmosphere like?
extreme daytime heat, extreme nightime cold
what is venus atmosphere like?
hotter then mercury
what is earth atmosphere like?
hot core with cool enough surface for liquid H2O
what is mars atmosphere like?
earthlike with dry river channels indicating water
which planets are gas giants?
what is jupiter atmosphere?
third brightest in sky after moon and venus
whta is uranus atmosphere like?
only planet does not rotate perpendicular to eliptic
what is neptune atmosphere like?
inner two thirds is mixture of molten rock, water, liquid ammonia, and methane
what do objects in solar system include?
- dwarf planets
what is a dwarf planet?
object in solar system that orbits sun and is not satllite of planet or other celestial body
what are the 5 dwarf planets?
- haumea, makemake and pluto located in kuiper belt
- eris located in scattered disk region
- ceres located in astroid belt
what are the different hypothesis about the moon?
- capture hypothesis: earths gravity captured a passing planetesimal
- double planet: earth and moon formed from local cloud of gas and dust
- Fission: centrifugal force caused piece of earth to sperate
- impact: easrth hasd collision with mars ejecting part of earth mantle and core into orbit
what is most widely accepted hypothesis about moon?
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview