Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What is STATICS
"mechanics dealing with the relationship of forces that produce equilibrium among material bodies"
State of Equilibrium
- There are no unbalanced forces acting on the structure
- The sum of all external and internal forces must equal zero
- If the sum does not equal zero then movement exists
Vectors in Statics
- Forces expressed as vectors
- Vector has two components, magnitude (6k, 15lbs, etc) and direction (vertical, horizontal, 60 degrees)
Simply Supported Beam, single span beam supported at each end, shear connection
Free Body Diagram
- Beam, loads and reactions drawn as isolated "free body"
- Shown with a uniformly distributed load
- Other load types include; varying, concentrated and movement
- Supports replaced with reactions (R)
- Shear stresses in the Y direction, vertical shear (V) are graphically represented
- Shear stress is greatest at the supports
- Shear stress is zero at mid-span
- Moments - bending stresses - graphically represented
- Moment stress is zero at the reactions
- Moment is greatest at mid span
- Interestingly, the shape of this diagram is the same as that of the form-active shape for a distributed load. This indicates that the intensity of the bending-type internal force (bending moment) at any cross-section is directly proportional to the distance of the cross-section from the equivalent point on the form-active shape.
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview