The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What is anatomical position?
- describes the position of the body standing erect with arms at the side of the body, palms facing forward, eyes looking straight ahead
- - legs are parallel with feet and toes are pointing forward
A. Relative positions
1) Terms of relative position are used to describe the __ of a part relative to another part.
2) Terms of relative position include: __ (12)__
- superior, inferior, anterior, posterior, medial, lateral, proximal, distal, superficial (peripheral), deep, supine, prone
B. Body Sections
1) A __ divides the body into __ and __ portions
2) A __ divides the body into __ and __ sections.
3) A __ divides the body into __ and __ sections.
4) Sometimes a __, __ or __ will be made through a __ organ.
- sagitall; right and left
- transverse; superior and inferior
- coronal (frontal); anterior and posterior
- cross section, oblique section, or longitudinal section
C. Body Regions
1. The __ can be divided into __ regions.
2. Terms used to refer to various body regions are depicted in Figure 1. 13
superior and inferior.
- superior: move towards the head, or above another structure
- inferior: move towards teh feet or tail, or below another structure
anterior and posterior.
- Anterior: move towards the front or belly-side of the body
- Posterior: Move towards the back or spinal card side of the body
medial and lateral.
- medial: refers to the middle or near the middle of the mody or sthe structre
- lateral: refers to the side
proximal and distal.
- proximal: located nearer to the point of attachment of the body
- distal: located farther away from the point of attachment ot the body
superficial and deep.
- superficial: more towards the surface of the body
- deep: further away from the surface of the body
supine and prone.
- supine: the body lying horizontally and facing upward
- prone: the body lying horizontally and facing downward