The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What are the common diseases associated with the hepatobiliary system?
- cirrhosis- esophageal varices
- medical/surgical jaundice
- hepatoma- hepatoblastoma- #1 pediatric tumor
Which disease of the hepatobiliary system is the #1 pediatric tumor?
What are the functions of the liver?
What does the two blood supply of the liver do?
Hepatic Artery- delivers oxygenated blood
Portal Vein- returns venous blood from abdominal viscera-nutrient rich (formed by superior mesenteric and splenic veins)
What is the function of the gallbladder?
store and concentrate bile
What is the function of the pancrease?
- both exocrine and endocrine
- Exocrine- trypsin (digestion of proteins), amylase (starch), lipase (lipids).
- Via pancreatic duct to duodenum
- Insulin- hyperglycemic
- Glucagon- hypoglycemic - liver break down glycogen
- Via islets of Langerhans
What is cirrhosis?
- liver parenchyma/architecture destroyed
- asymptomatic in early stages
- end stage of chronic alcoholism
- causes impaired liver function
- portal hypertension= PHTN
- development of:
- collateral venous connections to vena cava
- such connections involve the esophageal veins, which dilate to become esophageal varices
- High risk of hemmorhage due to the inability for liver to make clotting factors or esophageal variceal rupture
What is ascites?
- fluid within peritoneal cavity
- may result from hepatitis, renal failure, cancer and CHF
What are the characteristics of ascites?
50% of deaths from cirrhosis