Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards. What would you like to do?
1. At what % does the atmosphere become oxygen deficient?
2. When is the SCBA to be worn?
- contaminated atmospheres
- situations where it is likely that the atmosphere may become contaminated.
3. What are the 4 low air warnings?
- warning whistle
- Sentinel 2 system chirps
- Red light flashing on the facepiece HUD
- Red lights flashing on the Sentinel 2 system
4. What are the SCBA emergency procedures?
- Cylinder open
- bypass open
- call mayday/or for a sas pack
5. What are the 5 purposes of the sizeup?
- Learn the facts of the situation.
- Understand the probabilities.
- Develop situational awareness.
- * Understand what resources you need.
- Make a decision.
- Formulate a plan of action.
6. What are the 3 types of building collapse?
- Lean-To Collapse
- Pancake Collapse
- V-Type Collapse
7. What coupling is closest to the entrance of the structure?
"Big Lug Big Truck"
8. Describe the 3 types of heat stress.
- a.) Heat Cramps - least severe.
- Symtoms: severe muscle aches
b.) Heat Exhaustion - is more severe.Symptoms: fatigue, muscular weakness, tachycardia, fainting, nausea and vomiting, profuse sweating and the urge to defecate.
c.) Heat Stroke - is very serious. 10% mortality rate.Symptoms: loss of consciousness, a rectal temp above 40 C, or skin that is hot and dry.
9. Define RIC and what is it for?
- - Rapid Intervention Connection
- - The connection where the Supplementary Air Supply is used to get air to a firefighter that is getting little or no air.- Used to fill the cylinder without interrupting the air supply to the firefighter being rescued.
10. When does the low air whistle activate, how loud
- is it and how much air does it use?
- LAW activates at 25% of the full cylinder pressure
- LAW is 90 decibels
- LAW uses less than 5 litres per minute of medium pressured air (when activated)
11. What are the 2 indicator lights on the HUD used
- for and what colour/letter are they?
- Green led (left) 'M' for mask for HUD
- Yellow led (right) 'T' for transducer
12. Escaping through a wall opening can be achieved
- by what methods?
- Forward Swim Method (preferred)
- Backward Swim Method (preferred)
- Modified Profile Manoeuvre
- Temporary removing SCBA (last resort only)
13. What do you do after you find a victim?
Search immidiate area for more victims
drag victim out
14. Why do you search high on a wall?
To look for means of egress... (i.e windows)
15. What are the two recognized search procedures for CFD?
- Primary Search
- Secondary Search
16. What are the two common search methods?
- A.) Point man
- B.) Box Method
- C.) Modified box 3+ FF's
17. What does the low air cylinder pressure icon
- look like?
- good question - hard to describe :)
- a cylinder with lessening degrees of air shown inside
18. When do you remove your gloves while doffing?
After removing your demand valve, and helmet then it is safe to remove your gloves.
19. How often does a cylinder get hydrostaticly tested?
Every five years.
20. What is the procedure for moving a downed fire
- fighter up/down stairs?
- - Tighten harness
- FF#1 - head to cock
- FF#2 - lift the harness
21. What are the air purity and air quality standards
- for the air in a cylinder?
- Moisture - enough removed that it will not condense at -73 degrees
- Particulates - nothing larger than 10 micronsOil Vapour - less than 1ppm of hydrocarbon vapour
22. What are the 6 safety Checks while donning
- your SCBA?
- ensure the blue button is pressed
- read the cylinder pressure
- make sure the PASS device is activated
- ensure the Sentinel 2 digital pressure gauge reads within 2% of the cylinder pressure reading
- ensure all skin is covered
- perform the tug, bypass, and negative pressure safety checks
23. In order to conform to NFPA standards what conditions has the facepiece been tested under?
- 1093 degrees Celsius open flame
- for 10 seconds
24. List the 3 types of communication during Search
- hand signals
25. How long after a firefighter becomes motionless does the PASS device activate?
26. At what % is an atmosphere considered "O2
27. What are the Sentinel II warning systems for:half air, 1/4 air, PASS, failed test icon
- Half Air
- - two beeps
- - one red and one orange light flashes on HUD
- 1/4 Air
- - warning whistle
- - Sentinel 2 system chirps
- - Red light flashing on the facepiece HUD
- - 2 red lights flashing on the Sentinel 2 system
- - activates if a firefighter does not move after 22 seconds
- - can be manually activated with the yellow button onthe front of the Sentinal 2
- - loud continous alarm.
Failed Icon Test- Large X displayed across the Sentinel 2 screen.
28. What are the symptoms of wearing an SCBA unit while
- a.) our profile changes
- b.) center of gravity shifts
- c.) we become 20% less productive physically
29. How long is the air in a cylinder viable - when does it become stale air?
30. What is a step that must be taken before moving through a wall in a self rescue technique?
Sound the floor of the room that we are moving into.
31. What PSI does the 1st Stage Pressure reducer lower the high pressure airflow down to?
From 4500 PSI down to 87 - 130 PSI
32. At what pressure does the automatic pressure relief valve open to protect medium pressure components?
160 - 230 PSI
33. What batteries are used in the HUD?
1 cr2 lithium battery
34. What batteries are used in the transducer?
2 cr2 lithium batteries
35. What batteries are used in the voice amp?
2 AAA batteries
36. What's the goal of a primary search?
Quick and efficient
37. What's the goal of a secondary search?
- - time is not a factor
- - slower
- - able to say for sure, area is clear
38. How low do you allow a cylinder to get?
- 100 psi
- Or contaminates may get into the cylinder
- Have the cylinder taged out and checked
39. How often does your HUD light up?
On for 12 seconds, off for 48.
every second at low air
40. After your automatic pass goes off at 22 seconds, how long until full alarm?
41. Describe the face piece lens
- Greater than 90% range of view
- High impact poly carbon
- Optically corrected
42. At what level does air exchange?
43. Why is carbon monoxide so dangerous?
It sticks to the hemogloen more easily, and takes longer to detach, taking the place of oxygen
44. What is the mask made of?
Fire resistant kevlar
45. What are the 8 parts of the sentinel 2?
- 1) Manual pass
- 2) L button for backlight R button for temperature
- 3) R + L button for off
- 4) Green LED for PASS
- 5) 2 red LED's
- 6) Thermister
- 7) Sound chamber
- 8) Display
46. What does the Sentinel 2 display tell you?
- 1.) digital pressure
- 2.) analog pressure
- 3.) pictograms
- 4.) temperature display / time to whistle
47. What is the high pressure line to the sentinel made of? And what does it do?
- Coilled copper capillary tube
- If severed, less than 25 litres per minute will be lost
48. List the 8 parts of the SCBA.
- 1 facepiece
- 2 sentinel
- 3 cylinder
- 4 supply hoses
- 5 1st stage pressure reducer
- 6 backframe and harness
- 7 demand valve
- 8 warning whistle
49. List the 7 parts of the face piece.
- 1) Visor
- 2) Hud
- 3) nosecup
- 4) voice amp
- 5) exhalation valve
- 6) neck strap
- 7) head harness
50. If you lose a load bearing wall, what collapse do you have?
51. If you lose supports,what collapse do you have?
52. If you have heavy loads on an upper floor, what collapse do you have?
53. Describe a cylinder.
- Carbon wrapped aluminum
- Has a bursy disk, if you overfill
- Photoluminescent band (glow in the dark)
54. Major thing to remember when cleaning your back frame and harness
Do not let water enter the open end of the hose
55. What do you wash your face piece with?
- Husky 891
- Dry with wypall x60Inspect and lubricate o ring with supplied lubricant
56. Daily SCBA checks
- @ least 3500psi
- Facepiece straps extended
- Hud is working
- High pressure leak test
- Low air warning
- Test pass (if time)
57. Weekly checks
- Refilled within 6 months
- @ least 3500
- Daily checks
- Record findings on equipment check sheet
58. Explain facts in the scene size up.
- Who is calling
- Who is there
- What type of building
- What is its contents
59. Explain probabilities in the scene size up.
- People in building?
- Will the fire extend?
- Where is fire likely to extend? Can it be stopped?
60. Explain resources in the scene size up.
- Situational awareness.