The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
How many lancefield groups ID'd for Streptococcus?
Another name for S. pyogenes?
Group A strep
What is PYR? Which bacteria is + for PYR?
- PYR:color determinant
- bacteria: S. pyogenes
Name the three pathogenetic mechanisms and their infections to S. pyogenes?
- 1) Pyogenic inflammation: pharyngitis
- 2) Toxin-mediated: Scarlet fever (SpeA if lysed)
- 3) Immunologic:
- - Rheumatic Fever (ARF class I-M disease)
- - Acute glomerular nephritis (AGN)
T/F Pyogenic inflammation is self-limiting?
Thomson sign is a sign of what disease? What is it?
- infection: scarlet fever
- What:pastia lines, petechial lesions on flexor folds
What infection appears w/ desquamation, cirumoral pallor (around mouth), strawberry tongue?
What type of hypersensitivity rxn is ARF?
Type II - cytotoxic, IgG, IgM mediated
What infection is caused by cross linking w/ M proteins of S. pyogenes?
How long does it take after a pharyngitis infection for ARF to appear?
1-4 wks after GABHS pharyngitis
name the 5 major manifestations of Jones criteria for ARF?
- SC nodules
name the 4 minor manifestations of Jones critera for ARF?
- Acute phase proteins
- lengthened PR interval
What is present in the myocardium of a pt w/ ARF?
what side of the heart is damaged w/ ARF?
L, aortic and mitral valves
What drug is used to protect the heart from ARF?
What hypersensitivity rxn is AGN?
Type III, arthus, ab-ag (immune complex)
What is the sequelae of AGN?
- immune complexes deposited
- complement against complexes destroys kidneys
Three common signs of AGN?
- Puffy face
Two tests to screen for S. pyogenes?
- RADT: Rapid antigen detection test
- - test for A antigen form of C carbohydrate
- - high sensitivity = few false negatives
- Swab: confirm on BAP plate
- - B-hemolysis = positive test
- - high specificity = few false positives
When using a BAP plate to ID S. pyogenes, what is the bacterial dot placed that can inhibit growth?
BacitrAcin (inhibits gAs)
DOC for GAS
Penicillin VK: b-lactamase, acid resistant
What drug is used against S. pyogenes if macrolide resistance is present
T/F There is no vaccine available for S. pyogenes