The vestibular system starts to form at this time.
- Brain & primitive spinal cord are developed.
- Embryo becomes a fetus
- The first sensitivity to touch is displayed in a set of protective movements
- Vestibular system starts to form
- Fetus explores it's own body - hands to face
- Fetus actively engages with its own environment
- Changes in position such as twisting and turning facilitate kinesthetic awareness
- Auditory system and lung function developed
- Auditory, vestibular, and olfactory systems intact
- Visual system nearly set
- Sensation of light touch intact
Control of movement is first learned in what plane?
Sagittal plane - flexion and extension
The ability to co-contract around joints to maintain a stable base and the ability to use muscle groups independently of other groups to get controlled movement results in?
Mobility superimposed on stability
- Physiological flexion dominates with some random movement
- Extensors are in an elongated position
- No purposeful lateral weight shift or rotation
- Able to visually fixate on objects
Neonate (0 - 10 days)
- Slight overall decrease in flexion
- More active rotation present in the head and neck
- In supine, the head more laterally oriented because flexion has decreased
- Gravity has acted to help decrease hip and knee flexion; arms are in more external rotation
- Significant decrease in physiological flexion but has not developed active extension
- Therefore, may appear hypertonic and disorganized
- Can visually follow objects
- There is much more controlled symmetrical movement
- Will begin to see active extension
- Will use much rotation in the cervical spine with head turning and weight shifting
Child can sit independently
- A time of active sensory-spatial exploration
- Visual feedback is important for the development of postural control
- Rapidly developing anti-gravity and mobility skills
Creeping is refined and counter rotation has developed in four-point.
- A period of independent movement - rarely stays for long in prone or supine when awake
- Has gained all necessary ranges of motion needed to develop and refine higher level of skills