The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
what are the three anatomical and finctional sub divisions?
- Central nervous system : brain and spinal cord
- Peripheral nervous system: 12 pairs cranial nerves and 31 pairs spinal nerves . relay info between body and brain
- efferent-brain to body
- afferent-muscles, skin to brain
- autonomic nervous system: automatically control body temp, blood pressure, heart rate
male brain is heavier than female brain from birth (T/F)
list parts of the brain from most conscious to least conscious:
- brain stem
what does the cerebrum include?
- (75% total weight)- include cerebral cortex and white amtter that connect limbic, midbrain and brain stem
- hippocampus-create memories
- amgydala- create and regulate emotions
- anterior cingulate gyrus- inside of each hemisphere
- center of consciousness
what are the 4 main lobes and their functions?
- frontal-voluntary motor activity, speaking ability and elaboration of thought
- parietal-recieveing and processing sensory input
- occipital (visual cortex/striate cortex)-initiating process of visual output
- temporal-sound sensation
what is the cerebrum responsible for?
- conscious sensation
- working memory
- decision making
- problem solving
- abstract thought
what links the left and right hemispheres?
what are deep folds of brain called?
- gyrus- bulge of tissue on cortex
- sulcus- valley or groove in brain surface
- these enhance surface area of brain
if you flattened out you cerebral cortex what would your surface area be?
what area of brain is used for unconscious actions?
what part of brain is used for conscious actions?
motor area and pre frontal cortex