Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Bormann's Symbolic Convergence Theory
- Sharing common fantasis transforms a collection of individuals into a cohesive group.
- Rhetorical and Socio-psychological traditions.
Objectivist's Criteria for a good theory
- Explains an event or human behavior
- Should bring clarity-draw order from chaos
- Describes the process
- Goes beyond data to explain why
- predits what will happen based on repeated situations and the patterns
- As simple as possible--makes it no more complex than it has to be
- Must be useful--help people have more control in social situations
- A good objective theory is testable
- Qauntify the research
What makes an Interpretive theory good?
- Offers fresh insight into the human condition--gain new understanding by analyzing the activity regarded as uniquely human--symbolic interaction
- Clarify Values--activley seek to acknowledge, identify or unmask the meaning behind the message--willing to reveal thier own ethical commitments.
- Scholarly support is generated--supported, interested and acknowledged by those who are of the same mindset--becomes the subject of widespread analysis.
- A good interpretive theory often generates change. Society is constructed by communication practices therefore can be changed and reformed
- Both content and style make a difference. Interpretive theorists have more room for creativity therefore aesthetic appeal becomes an issue.
- Interpretive scholars use words to support thier theories.
- Qualitative Tools used are open-ended interviews, artifacts and introspection.
- Ethnography and Textual Analysis are used most often to study how humans use sings and symbols.
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview