The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What are informants?
Persons have something, its beneficial to LE, we want it, they face personal risk
Motivations: payment, reduction of criminal charges, or personal revenge
witness/victims to crimemotivation: good citizensno gain/reward is expctdTroubled by activity in their neighborhood, neighborhood watch member
untested & providing info 4 the 1st timewant name withheldmotivation: goodwill or self serving
confident reliable informant
reliable & crediblewant name withheld for fear of retaliationreliable because prior info lead to arrest, seizure, or conviction.
basically working off a case or sometimes to eliminate their competition or rival gang , giving something for something, generally not paid but sometimes are
refuses to identify themselves to LE, not reliable, motivation is difficult to prove, WE-TIP or telephonic reporting
like defndnt informant but under 18 (over 13!) & needs crt order
under 18 NO GAIN, dont need crt order, must hav permission from parents, mant diff motivations
unwitting informant (shreves fave)
Dont know you're LE, consider motivation, S =good unwitting infrmnts, always doc that they are unwitting
police buff informant (shreves least fave)
- LE wanna be, wants/ wanted to be cop but coudnt cuz of physical, mental, criminal history problems
- May lie, give false info to 'feel important'
thrill seeker informant
Gets way too involvedseeking adrenaline rush, can cause physical confrontations, Interfere with UC (undercover office)
can be hazardous, motivation is $,dont cut corners with them!, know their level of integrity, snitch for a livingProblem: professional liars, wants to be your friend, wants something on you, can make you famous causing you to overlook flaws
many male cops get "done in" by female informants, never meet them alone, does her bf/husband know she's an infrmnt, false sex allagations against you, try to have a female officer w/ u.
routes of administration
- 1. Insufflation-nose
- 2. inhalation-smoking (fastest 3-5 secs) 3.intravendously-injecting (5-10 mins)
- 4. orally eating-pills, brownies (20-30 mins/faster for girls)
- 5. contact-eyelids, vaginally, rectally, gums
- Central Nervous System:
- spinal cord,
- brain stem
All drugs have a euphoric onset (feels good/rush), this is caused by....?
Serotonin & Dopamine: chemicals that work in the brain to send signals of pleasure, mood stability
What is the Reward Reinforcement Center?
tells the brain (soft voice): what I just did, that felt good. Lets do that again.
the more it gets used to it the more you need
What is the blood brain barrier & why do drugs get past it?
- suppose to keep drugs out.
- Drugs have a molecular structure similar to Serotonin & Dopamine
when a drug is made better or changed because it was outlawed, it is automatically illegal also.
Drug Enforcement Agency
more than a hunch, less than beyond a reasonable doubt
When can you search a car or house?
- Plain sight
- -synthetically produced substance
- -white, odorless, & bitter tasting
- -CNS stimulant that users like because it produces "false energy", alertness, increased sexual drive, and is relatively in-expensive
Dangers of meth labs
- Toxic fumes
What is MSM powder?
used to cut meth
is possession of a meth pipe illegal?
Possession of a meth pipe is not a crime, unless it has ANY meth in it
Signs/symtoms of meth users
- Pulse rate up
- Pupil size is dialated
- Pupil reation is slow
- Rhomberg internal clock is fast
- Cotton mouth
how long do Amphetamines stay in the body?
- urine up to 48 hrs
- Blood up to 72 hrs
- Hair 90 days
Meth violation codes?
- 11377(a) Possession
- 11378 Possession for sales
- 11379 Transport, furnish, give away
- 11379.6 Manufacture
- 11383(a)(c) Possession of precursors
Meth cost of a pound?
Meth cost of an ounce?
1/16 oz of meth?
Parts of S america where coca plant grows?
What is cocaine?
- stimulant derived from Erythroxylum Coca plant
- best known for its massive popularity in powered & freebase (crack) form
What part of the coca plant is actually cocaine?
3 key ingredients in processing cocaine?
gasoline, amonia, & sulfuric acid
How is rock cocaine made?
- Cook C in a mixture of baking soda & water
- Mixture becomes hard when dried
- Soap-like substance can then be cut into 'rock' or 'chips'
Signs/ symtoms of cocaine?
- Pulse rate up (normal 72 bpm)
- Pupil size is dialated (normal 3.5-6.5)
- Pupil reaction is slow (rebound dialation)
- Rhomberg internal clock is fast
- Cotton mouth
- Coughing up pus, mucus, blood
- Tightened muscles
- Bruxism (teeth grinding)
- Trismas (jaw tightens)
Codes for Cocaine?
- 11350 Possession
- 11351 Possession for sales
- 11351.5 Possession of cocaine base (rock) for sales
- 11352 Transportation or Sales
- 11364 Possession of paraphernalia
c stays in system....?
- urine from 48 to 72 hrs
- hair testing for up to 90 days
1 kilo of paste=_________ kilos of leaves?
1 kilo cocaine base=___________kilos of paste?
When was cocaine first isolated?
what percentage of c comes from south america?
what act made cocaine illegal?
Harrison act of 1914
when did coca cola switch to decocanized leaves?
when did crack become a nationwide problem?
Name of early advocate who was blamed for spreading cocaine use?
trade names of C?
- nose candy
Medical cocaine can be used for?
As a local anestheticNumb the nasal passages, eyes,
- constricts blood vessels, and thus blood & oxygen to the unborn fetus
- can cause premature labor & uterine contradictions
exposed crack babies can have:
- congenital heart defects
- lower birth weight
- subject to seizures