Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Role Category Questionnaire (RCQ)
- The RCQ is designed to sample the personal constructs people use to make sense of the world.
- A free-response survey designed to measure the cognitive compexity of a person's interpersonal perception.
- constructs are contrasting features we use to classify other people.
- The RCQ centers on the categories of personality and action that we use to define the character of another person.
- The RCQ is used to measure the respondent's degree of cognitive complexity.
- people with a large set of personal constructs have better social perception skills than those with less constructs.
- Researchers are more concerned with the structure of the constructs than with the content of judgments.
- cognitive complexity allows us to make distinctions that are more sophisticated than binary classifications.
- Constructs are contrasting features we use to classify other people.
- The cognitive templates or stencils we fit over social reality to order our impressions of people.
The interpersonal edge
- Messages which reflect an awareness of an adaptation to subjective, affective, and relational aspects of the communication contexts. The speaker is able to anticipate how different individuals might respond to a message, and adjust his or communication accordingly.
- Delia and colleagues claim that people who are cognitively complex have a communication advantage over those with less developed mental constructs.
- Person-centered messages reflect an awareness of and adaptations to subjective, affective, and relational aspects of the communication contexts.
- The capacity to create person-centered messages relates to rehetorical sensitivity, taking the role of the other, identification, self-monitoring, audience awareness, and listener adaptation.
- Benefits of person-centered messages:
- sophisticated messages are more comforting than clumsy attempts at social suppot.
- the dgree of similarity in communicative skill may be more important than sophisticated communication for maintaining close friendships
- cognitive complexity enhance orgaizational effectiveness
- allows us to make distinctions that are more siphisticated than binary classifications.
- The mental ability to distinguishe subtle personality and behavior differences among people.
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview