Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
The voluntary sharing of personal history, prferences, attitudes, feelings, values, secrets, etc., with another person; transparency.
The process of developing deeper intimacy with another person through mutual disclosure and other forms of vulnerability.
Social Exchange Theory
- Relationship behavior and status regulated by both parties' evaluations of perceived rewards and costs of interaction with each other.
- Social exchange theorists assume that we can accurately gauge the payoffs of a variety of interactions and that we have the good sense to choose the action that will provide the best result.
- Depth and Breadth are equally important in the process of social penetration.
Comparison level of Alternatives (CL Alt)
Altman & Taylor
likens people to onion-like layers of beliefs & feelings about self, others & world, deeper layers are more vulnerable, protected and self-image.
- is a gradual process of layer-by-layer withdrawal.
- Relational retreat is a sort of taking back of what has earlier been exchanged in the building of a relationship.
- Relationships are likely to terminate not in an explosive flash of anger but in a gradual cooling off of enjoyment and care.
Law of Reciprocity
A paced and orderely process in which openness in one person leads to openness in the other; "You tell me your dream; I'll tell you mine."
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview