Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Computer Mediated Communicaton (CMC)
Text based messages, which filter out most non-verbal cues
Media technology shapes how we as individuals in a society think, feel, act, and how our society operates as we move from one technological age to another
- Resulting from a lack of social context, it is the hostile language that zings at its target and creates a toxic climate for relational growth on the internet.
- CMC users have no clue as to their relative status, and norms for interaction aren't clear, so people tend to become omore self-absorbed and less inhibited.
- A nonsimultaneous medium of communication that each individual can use when he or she desires. Email or text messages are person-to-person messages that can be read at a convenient time.
- One can plan, contemplate and edit comments more mindfully and deliberatively than one can in more spontaneous talk.
- This is advantages when dealing with touchy issues, misunderstandings, or conflict between parties.
- The claim that CMC relationships are often more intimate than those developed when partners are physically together.
- Sender: Selective Self-Presentation
- Receiver: Overattribution of Similarity
- Channel: Communcating on your own time
- Feedback: Self-Fulfilling Prophecy
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview