What important instructions should the health care professional give the patient who is taking the nitrate drugs nitroglycerin (Nitrostat, Nitro-Dur, Nitro-Bid) and isosorbide dinitrate (Isordil)?
- Take over-the-counter analgesic for unrelieved headaches (most subside spontaneously within 20 min).
- Report dizziness, syncope.
- Move slowly from lying down to sitting or standing to prevent injury.
- Do not perform hazardous activity, such as driving, if dizziness occurs.
- Take pulse, and report tachycardia above prescribed parameters.
- Remove transdermal forms for part of each day.
- Take only as many sublingual tablets as needed.