What are some contraindications that would make taking the nitrate drugs nitroglycerin (Nitrostat, Nitro-Dur, Nitro-Bid) and isosorbide dinitrate (Isordil) risky for the patient?
- Allergy or tolerance to nitroglycerin or isosorbide
- Head injury, increased intracranial pressure
- Severe anemia
- Glaucoma (sustained-release forms)
- Gastrointestinal (GI) disease including hypermotility (sustained release isosorbide)
- IV nitroglycerin: Hypotension, hypovolemia (correct before administering)
- Constrictive pericarditis