The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
The Uncle Tom
- - Submissive, Subservient
- - Never questions authority
- - Would do w/e asked of them regardless of treatment
- - Forever devoted to masters
- - Lazy, good for nothing
- - Used traits to escape work
- - Fair or light skinned black person
- >could pass for white
- - Characterized as juxtaposed between two worlds and rejected by both.
- - Confused with identity
- - Assertive, Aggressive, Dominant, Subservient
- - Large, Dark Skinned
- - Often protrayed as having no sex appeal; asexual
- - aka Brutal Black Buck
- - Black male who is something to be feared
- - "Big Bad Niggas" as they lust for white flesh
- > defined by masculinity and sexuality
Director of Birth of a Nation(1915)
Birth of a Nation
- - 1915
- - Based on the book The Clansman by Thomas Dixon
- >about KKK, two families divided b/c of civil war
- - 3 hour film
- - Played for 12 yrs after release
- - Introduced: night photography, moving camera shots, split screes, Iris is/Iris out, and dynamism(3-D)
What was the REACTION to Birth of a Nation?
- - NAACP gathered to prohibit the film
- - People protested the film
- - Riots took place (bricks)
- - Police beat women protesters
- Whites: Jane Adams and Charles Elliot denounced the film
What are some MYTHS about Birth of a Nation?
- - Only black people reacted to the film
- - The beginning of black protest began with this film
- - All the black characters in the film were in black face
- - If preserved, it cannot persuade contemporary views on race.
- - Hollywood stopped making films for black audiences because blacks protested them
- - Criticizes the cinematic achievement because it does not hide the racism
- - sometimes racism can be shown without intention because of the superficial way it is represented.
The Lincoln Film Company
- - George and Noble Johnson
- Film company started by two brothers in response to the offensive representation of blacks in Birth of a Nation