Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- type or class of book
- ex: nonfiction
verse vs. prose
- the ordinary form of spoken or written language, withoutmetrical structure, as distinguished from poetry or verse.
- a succession of metrical feet written, printed, or orallycomposed as one line
fiction vs. nonfiction
- made up story
- true story
subject vs. topic vs. theme
- what its about
- the main subject
- the main topic
the plan, scheme, or main story of aliterary or dramatic work, as a play, novel, or short story.
the act of expounding, setting forth, or explaining
a complex combination of elements or things.
suspension of a story or novel
the very end of story
flashback and foreshadowing
- telling of the past
- to show or indicate beforehand
a place where a matter is shappening
time, place, atmosphere
conflict and types of conflict
- problem the protagonists faces
- man vs. man, man vs. society, man vs self, man vs nature
protagonist vs antagonist
- the leading character
- a person who is opposed
internal vs. external conflict
- mav vs self
- man vs world
direct vs. indirect characterization
- character isrevealed by the use of descriptive adjectives, phrases, orepithets.
- character isrevealed through the character's speech, actions, appearance,
flat, round, stock charaters
- an easily recognized character type
- a character in fiction whose personality, background, motives, andother features are fully delineated by the author.
- quicklyrecognized and accepted by the reader or viewer and requiring nodevelopment by the writer.
author knows only main charcter
tells by main character (protagonist)
used for nonfiction
the use of words to convey a meaning that is the oppositeof its literal meaning
when someone sas something but meand something different
outcome is contraryto what was expected.
isunderstood by the audience but not grasped by the characters inthe play.
a symbol that stands for something more
a symbolical narrative
tone vs mood
- the authors voice
- the feeling of the story
denotation vs connotation
- d:direct meaning or set of meanings of a word orexpression,
- c: the associated or secondary meaning of a word orexpression in addition to its explicit or primary meaning