Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What was an important characteristic of the '50s?
Whites assumed Black roles.
Who was Dorothy Dandridge?
- -Black actress,whose mother was an entertainer (Ruby)
- -Rarely played Blacks, because of her European features. Only played a Black role in two movies
- -had troubled marriages, including Harold Nicholson; had a mentally retarded daughter
- -committed suicide
- ex. Carmen Jones, Island in the Sun
Who is Sidney Poitier?
- -Bohamian actor (director and producer) who provided a different represenation of Blacks
- -criticized for playing characters that were too good to be true
- - good friends with Harry Belafonte and 10 yr relationship with Diahann Carrol
- -refused to kiss white women on screen
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview