Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- -Date: established in 1865
- -What: Funded by taxes; gave food, built shelters and schools for African Americans.
- • Put in place by the government to help African Americans “get on their feet”
- • Made the federal government see like a hero
- -Date: Ratified: July 9, 1868
- -What: Conferred national citizenship on all persons born or naturalized in the United States.
- • Allowed Congress to reduce the representation of any state that denied suffrage to males over 21
- • Became the basis of the Brown vs. Board of Education case in 1954
Dawes Act (same as Dawes Severalty Act)
- -Date: Adopted by Congress in 1887
- -What: Gave Indian tribes 160 acres and the right to petition for citizenship if they gave up their land.
- • Promoted the assimilation of Indians into American Society
- • Indians who did not agree with the “Terms and Conditions” were forced to move to Indian Reservations where many died of starvation and disease.
Buffalo Bill’s Wild West Show
- -Date: 1883- Start of the show
- -What: A show that brought the ways of the West to those who couldn’t experience it in person.
- •Employed Sitting Bull and other Sioux Indian. (gave them money to help support their tribe)
- -Date: 1880s to 1890s
- -What: A Scottish –American with a “Rags to Riches” story
- •Created the Carnegie Steel Company which gave many Americans work.
- •One of a few rich men who gave large portions of their money to the poor. He also built libraries and universities.
- -Date: Created within the Gilded Age (1865-1900)
- -What: Explained and justified why some Americans grew rich while others remained poor.
- •Based off of Charles Darwin’s “survival of the fittest” idea.
- •Could have been used as an explanation to separate African Americans from white Americans
Knights of Labor
- -Date: Founded in 1869
- -What: Largest labor organization in the 19th century
- •An organization which actually allowed African Americans and women to become members.
- •Showed a start to the Progressive era; where reform was seen everywhere
“The March of the Flag”
- -Date: 1898
- -Date: Founded the National Women’s Party in 1915
- -What: Quaker/ Woman’s rights activist
- •Formed the National Women’s Party where many women who wanted women’s suffrage became members of.
- •Her dedication to women’s suffrage, by the use of hunger strikes, resulted in the passage of the 19th Amendment.
- -Date: Spoke to Congress in January 8, 1918.
- -What: Speech by Woodrow Wilson which was a blueprint for peace; ending WWI
- •Was a preliminary event to the Cold War; which was a fight between Americans and Russians.
- •Created because Bolshevism represented a threat to liberal-capitalist values, which was the foundation of America’s moral and material power.
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview