Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Space Odyssesy 2010 protraits
lack of emotion from humans
In Is Google Making Up Stupid?, Carr makes his main points, which are:
- we're losing our ability to think deeply and memory
- reading helps to keep/develop these things
is google making us stupid?
more but less quality knowledge
what is Carr's view of his world?
it's collapsing because of technology
what does Carr mean by "the Net's intellectual thic remeins obscure"?
ethic wasn't set up in first place
outside of our body
wall between human and machine disappear
examples of biotechnology
effect of augmentation in evolution
- helping each other to evolve
- humans and computers
Casclo (Get Smarter) thinks technology
helps people to participate in more complex things
Sam Anderson (In Defense of Distraction) thinks technology...
makes us easy to be distracted
brain's ability to adapt changes
executive function can be divided into (2)
- top-down focus
- bottom-up focus
- you can do it without docusing
why is learning about attention/distration important?
- learn how to focus
- awareness of our situation
- learn cultural dilemma of relationship between human and technology
science of communication and automatic coontrol system (machines and organisms)
cold war was significant in technology because
that was the move from analog to digital
- look at the whole packet that you send, divide it to parts, and puts in back together
- if something goes wrong, there would be alternative paths
transfer control individual protocal
- packet switching
- it makes sure everything is put back together
- recognizes IP address
hypertext and hyperlink
- hypertext is connected by hyperlink
- ability to work with HTML
- all combined are called HTTP
hyperlink makeup language
hypertext transfer protocol
difference between internet and www
- inernet: platform
- www: programming system
lack of government
is it good/bad?
does anything replace it?
- someone is going to regulate
- activist hackers
effect of online communication on offline communication
it shrunk offline communication
bigger and more dangerous technology comes with more...
difference between online and offline identity
- you have to make an effort to have an identity online
- opposite for offline
benefit and danger of anonymity
- benefit: no bias
- danger: hard to catch criminals, triggers unwanted behavior, uncredibility of online information
if you don't want to be betrayed, you must...
know what to expect, and they must be met
different between digital and analog
- analog: not continuous, mimics what it's representing
- digital: everything is in 1 platform, so you can have multiple things in 1 device. fulid
belief that if you're different, you're wrong
believes that different cultures think differently
between monism and relativism
how many people reach the information how fast
inherent quality of internet makes us hard to trust
cut and paste is so easy
Johnson's 3 major terms
Ess's 3 big points
1 device can have multiple purposes
people contributing and commenting
- make something strange
- questioning of what we do in our everyday life
imbedded in cultures
- language that actually does something
- ex: marriage
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview